Help! Quail are hatching, but EE eggs need turned!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherndon712, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I boo booed!! Should I turn the ee eggs like normal? Theres only 12 in there, so doesn't take too long...

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your button quail are hatching in the bator with the EE's?...I'd wait til the quail all hatch...not turning for a day shouldn't hurt the EEs...my thoughts.....I've seen where people have had to go away for a day or two and couldn't turn ...the hatch still went well...

What day are the EE's on?

3. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I put them in 2 days ago. So it won't hurt to not turn them? I planned on turning them when I take some of the buttons out to put in the brooder.

4. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Wait until your hatch is over. The quail should bump into their eggs enough to excite them into moving.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't think it will hurt to not turn them til the quail hatch is over....

6. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Quote:Leave the button quail in? How long can they stay in there?

7. Leslie In North Pole

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Leave them in until their hatch is over, otherwise they get stuck in their shells.

They usually hatch out pretty quick, so I would wait until I don't see any pipped and everyone is fluffy.

8. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I agree they hatch quick! The one that just hatched was zipped...I went to get coffee and the little bugger was zooming around the bator!! I feel bad for him, cuz he's the only one so far and peeping his little heart out!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. Leslie In North Pole

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    He is calling all of the other ones out. If you want, you can cover the window to lessen the light in side and it should settle down and sleep.

Quail are so different from duckling and chicks. They are very active and ready to run, while the other kinds of poultry take awhile to build up steam. I love hatching quail, they really do seem to pop like popcorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by