Help! Quail feed (would this be a good feed for my quails?)

Danny_tb

Chirping
Mar 25, 2019
623A73D2-CA35-4CFD-A6BE-10C0765907F1.png

At 22% protein in this feed, you can bump it to 23% by mixing 3 parts gamebird with 1 part ground up dry cat food (30% protein). Math: (22/4)*3=15.5% plus (30/4)=7.5 for a grand total of 23% protein. You can get 26% protein by mixing it at 50/50 ratio with ground up dry cat food (30% protein). Math: 22% protein in gamebird feed + 30% protein cat food, divided by 2.

I live in Panama and the absolute best feed available here is ground for quail specifically, but it's ONLY 21% protein. That's fine if you're going to EAT YOUR BIRDS, with no thought about breeding or keeping them for eggs, but my birds would starve to death slowly on such a low protein diet day in and day out. Of the eggs gathered from malnourished birds, I would eventually see low hatch rates, failure to thrive issues, diseases and deformities. For my time and money, I'll do the blend ;) I cannot even buy a protein supplement at the feed store, when I asked, they looked at me as if I'd arrived from the planet Mars. I do the 50/50 mix with the dry catfood and grind it (dry) in my blender, brings my protein up to 25.5%.

Hope this helps.

That's depending upon God to replenish the bugs in a regular fashion... If it's the best you can do, then it's the best you can do... but if you can do better then I think ya should.

I used to have a mouse problem when I moved here, which was fine... my chickens will chase down, kill AND eat mice, no problems. So fun to watch them play "keep away" from each other when they bag a mouse :drool Sadly though, my mouse problem was resolved within a couple weeks of their efforts and I no longer have a mouse problem. That source of added protein is gone. I don't expect that a quail could kill a mouse, but a few bugs yeah... but the source could dry up.

Just out of curiosity, is it okay if their feed is a bit low on protein if they have access to bugs in a run?
If you have a living ecosystem where decomp is happening then the bugs should come. Deep litter/compost piles would attract buggies for sure

If you have a living ecosystem where decomp is happening then the bugs should come. Deep litter/compost piles would attract buggies for sure
I have a compost bin and three garden beds. I plan to have my quail in a mobile hutch/run that can fit over the garden beds so they can be the pest control. I don't plan on having them in one place for more than 2-3 days at a time. I also plan to put them in other parts of my yard than the garden beds so their waste doesn't burn the roots of my garden.

I have a compost bin and three garden beds. I plan to have my quail in a mobile hutch/run that can fit over the garden beds so they can be the pest control. I don't plan on having them in one place for more than 2-3 days at a time. I also plan to put them in other parts of my yard than the garden beds so their waste doesn't burn the roots of my garden.
Should be totally fine

Back
Top Bottom