Help! Quail Hatch - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by amberscave, Oct 15, 2013.

1. amberscave

amberscave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    North Central Florida
    I bought some silkie chicks 17 days ago and the lady reached into a pen of white quail and pulled out an egg. She gave it to me and said "hey put this in your chicken incubator. the kids will love it." I figured it was a dud but couldnt resist trying it out. Well, my odd little speckled egg hatched! Now I have this cute tiny yellow chick and no idea what to do. It is hours old and racing around the box. It's chirping and pecking. My chicken chicks dont show this must energy and activity the first hours. Do I need to do something different with it? Or not do something with it?
    I just read some where that I am not suppose to put it with my chickens. What about guineas? Is it destined to live a lonely life? Is it okay being the sole quail or do I need to get it a companion?
    ANY and ALL advice is welcome!!
    Thank you :)
    [​IMG]

2. rambob59

rambob59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Central California
    I had my quail with my chickens for a while and then got a mice/rat problem that would scratch up my birds really bad at night so I had to put my quail in a bird cage. It should be fine alone if you decide to take it away from chickens.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would recommend that you raise this little one as a pet if you do not intend on keeping more quail. First off, quail have a different diet right from the start and need very high protein to grow. A protein as high as 26% to 28%. Next, it is not recommended to keep quail with chickens for the health and safety reasons of the quail. At some point, the chickens could kill this small quail, or cause it to contract a disease and end it's life.

Quail can make good house pets! If worked with as babies, they can be quite affectionate and share the house just as a parrot would. It won't be lonely as long as you give it the attention it needs.

For now, you can get a feather duster, turn it up side down in the corner so it has feathers to snuggle into or even a few small stuffed animals to cuddle with in his own brooder. Make sure to pick him up and make time with him so he becomes used to you and eventually he will be a fun little quail giving you hours of entertainment! :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    from the size of that egg it looks like a button quail, aka Chinese Blue Breasted Quail. As twocrows said they need much higher protein then chickens and should not be housed with them. Buttons are generally kept indoors as pets. The meat and eggs are so tiny that to eat them is crazy. He should be in a brooder with a feather duster or other object to snuggle with even a mirror will work. He needs food sprinkled on the floor of the brooder until he finds the dish and do put pebbles or other items like marbles in the water dish to keep him from falling in and getting a chill. The chill will kill him really fast. Maybe you can get back in touch with the person you got the egg from and see if they want the chick? One will be lonely and when it grows up if a male he could drive you nutz crowing for a mate. And they grow up in just 6-10 weeks! Good luck! If you decide to keep it let us know if you have any questions on care or housing.

5. rambob59

Oct 9, 2013
    Central California
    those quail are cute when they hatch but when they get bigger they are a neusence

6. codyschap

codyschap Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    I verify this completely

7. rambob59

Oct 9, 2013
    Central California
    jess they are!

8. codyschap

codyschap Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013