Help Quarantine question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindseychick, Jan 4, 2017.

1. lindseychick

lindseychick New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Townsend, Tn
    Hi! I have a hen that has chronic respiratory issues for the past three years, now a second one that is showing signs. I decided to get them to a vet last week waiting on my antibiotic to arrive (they had to order) because I can't find any powder soluble from tractor supply! Long story short it is going to be unseasonably FREEZING here beginning Thursday night -The weekend so I have arranged pens in a heated garage(approx 800 sq ft) can my quarantine hens at least be in the same room with my other chickens if they are in seperate pens across the room from one another? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sorry for the issues that you are dealing with. If the hen with the CRD has been in the flock for the past 3 years, they have all been exposed and are infected on one level or another. Generally I would say that housing in the same room would not be a good idea, but it sounds as if they may have already been exposed to whatever it is. Good luck at resolving the problem. Respiratory issues generally turn into a lifetime thing.

3. lindseychick

lindseychick New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Townsend, Tn
    Thank you. I have two small flocks and they all free range together outside when I am home so I assum they have all been exposed? I don't understand why they took all of the good antibiotics off the shelf (tractor supply) especially when it is hard to find a vet to treat a chicken in the first place. I hope my prescription comes in today so that I can treat my whole flock just to be on the safe side. I'm home remedying in the meantime with apple cider vinegar in their drinking water and vetrx on anyone that sounds suspicious.

4. lindseychick

lindseychick New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Townsend, Tn
    Do you know if you can use Duramycin injectable in their water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by