Help!!! Question about yolk sac.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Mar 16, 2012.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I had a chick born that doesn't look like its yolk sac is all the way absorbed. I tried to put him back in the egg and wrap him up but, it just popped back out. What can I do??? Will she/ he be okay?

Thanks,
    Michele

2. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The best thing I have found was to wrap them in a warm-wet paper towel and stick them back in the bator. Leave their face out of the wrapped paper towel and check on it hourly. I had one that survived out of three that hatched like this. So they can make it! Good Luck!!!

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    only one [​IMG] I will try that. Anyone else have suggestions?

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    anyone else is this the only thing I can do? The chick is on day 21. How long does it usually take for it to absorb the yolk sac? I don't want to unwrap it until it should be done cooking.

Thanks,
    Michelle

5. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
  6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    So far so good. It has been 24 hours and it is running all over the place and the yolk sac has absorbed more but, not all the way. I tried to keep him wrapped up in a damp wet napkins but, he could always work his way out. Then I did the diaper thing. I left it on all night but, I took it off this morning. He really seemed to be having a hard time with the diaper on. So I figure he will either pull through or he won't, I want him to be happy. I really don't think I can do much to change the outcome. I think he is gonna make it though. I just wanted to update so that it might help other people who have this problem if he pulls through maybe it will give others hope.

[​IMG]

7. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    Good news!

8. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Just wanted to update it has been 4 days and little one is doing fine. I guess it was just meant to be. He pipped the wrong end so I had to help it out. I took it out a little to early so the yolk sac hadn't completely absorbed but, after all that it is still here. :0)

9. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great news! I'm glad he's doing so well. Great job! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by