Help quick please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by holahead, Apr 3, 2009.

1. holahead

holahead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Alabama
    Ok I am having a little bit of a problem. I put my 10 nine week old chicks outside this past Sunday. Well today I go down to feed them and they are some kind of gnat looking creatures everywhere. They are all over the coop and are on everything. What can I do to get them away. I had to take my chicks out but I need to put them back in there before tonight. Can someone please help me?

2. EC

EC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Washington
    This might help the chickens but not the coop, but have you tried dusting the chickens?

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Are they on the birds as well? Do you have a picture? It seems funny that they would be licwe or ticks and be all over the coop, usually they stay right on the birds. Are you sure they aren't springtails or something like that? Here's a link to springtails

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2070.html

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. espressola

espressola Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    River Pines, CA
    Is the bedding/footing wet? Could you spread some Sweet PDZ or Stable Dri around to absorb any moisture? Or some DE? Is there food that got wet somewhere in the coop or run? The gnats probably aren't bothering your babies, but it is a little yucky....

Patty N. ;-)

5. holahead

holahead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes they were/are and the chicks as well. Some of them have little bloody spots and there legs. I am assuming this is from the insects. I got a rake and spread the dirt around so it would dry up. It has been raining here all week but the coop I build is up off the ground. I got them out but they still have some on them in there feathers. I am at wits end I don't know what to do. I was raking the dirt around and they were all over me. I had to get a long sleeve shirt and a head net I wear when I go hunting.

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    That sounds really strange. Ive never heard of anything like that before. I would suggest getting a fogger and setting it off inside the coop. Then spraying it out after it airs out for a few hours. Then putting the birds in a bath to clean them off. Use some dog shampoo with flea medication in it to clean them with. I would use something mild for puppies. I hope that helps some.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Do you live somewhere with a black fly population? Try calling a local vet to ask about parasitic gnats or flies that might be in your area. If these are bothering your chickens, they're probably bothering other people's cats & dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by