Help Quick !! Totally Scalped Button Quails !!

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
Well as a early B day gift my dad got me 3 button quials, to go with my single one that lives in a 2X2 base cage thats 5 feet tall. there is a cockateil in there as well and the cockatiel and the single button quial have always gotten along. but when my dad put the other new quails in there, he left to go to a fourth of july party and when he came back, all the three new quails were TOTALLY SCALPED AND hidinging in a corner !!! the cockateil on the floor of the cage struting around with a bloody beak, the quial that had been there before was fine.

PLEASE tell me wat to tell my dad to do, im not home, well not even in the country right now,do i need to tell him to do anything to them to help??

SEPARATE AT ONCE. It won't get any better soon enough.
thumbsup.gif

Wow, that's bad. By "scalped" do you mean plucked with cuts or lacerations, or truly scalped in the sense that a good portion of the skull bones are exposed?

If it's the former, they should recover with proper treatment -- I would use styptic powder if still actively bleeding, put an antibiotic cream on there (like Neosporin) and also put them on a course of antibiotics in the water for the next 7-10 days to ward off infection. It would probably be good to keep them warmer than normal, say around 85 degrees, use a vitamin/mineral supplement in the water, and maybe even an electrolyte solution (unflavored pedialyte made for kids, or ornalyte made for birds).

Sorry about that -- keep us posted.

1 Stop The Violence! Issolate The Newbies Now
2 Paint The Scalped Areas With Blue Kote/ Wound Cote
3 Leave Them Issoalted And Alone With Food/ Water --- They Will Heal

Quail Have Almost Majical Healing Powers. They Dont Need Anything Other Than Safety And Time--- They Will Do The Rest On Their Own.
smile.png

When Mixing Birds Everyone Goes Into A New Pen Simultaneously--- Otherwise The Newbies Always Loose As The Estabolished Birds Have Territorial Boundaries Set And Any Infraction Will Result In Violence. From The Sounds Of It Your Cockatiel Will Be Better Suited In That "bird Cage Thats Somewhere At The House" I Would Also Remove The Resident Quail For A Week Or So And When All Are Healed And Ready Then All 4 Go Into The Pen Togather.(without The Cockateil)

I Realize That.... But The Other Quail Has Been In The Avairy And Has Estabolished Territory---- If You Leave It In There When You Do Place The Newbies In Again The Estabolished Quail Will Fight With Them! You'll Be Doing A Re-run Of This Post. Take It Out Now For The Time It Takes The Newbies To Heal And Place Them All In There Togather Next Time To Help Avoid This..... And Besides Just Because He Wasnt Caught Doing Anything Does Necessarily Mean He's Innocent. Beleive Me Scalping Is Quail Injury..... Not A Cockatiel Injury. Your Not Punishing The Estabolished Quail.... You're Trying To Erase Boundaries And Make It A Fresh And Level Playing Field So There Wont Be Any Disputes When You Try This Again
smile.png

For The Record, Quail Are Mean As A Speces Of Bird. And Buttons Not Only Are Not Excused From This.... But Are Some Of The Meanest Lil Suckerz Out There! Adoreable? Yes Personable? Maybe Mean? You Betcha!

Back
Top Bottom