help quick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annie3001, May 9, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i was in the process of performing a bumblefoot surgery on my 2 year rir
    and upon letting her walk a bit...she was moving alot upon doing it.
    her insides came out... near her vent....what can i do?
    shes got her insisdes out???

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i also didnt finish her up.... just started the scraping

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you think it is a prolapse or did your cutting tool slip and accidentally cut her near her vent? I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    no it appears to be prolaspe

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    ok... i didnt check this again, and used my finger and a towel. i think it went back in.....she ran away. i dont see the red thingy (vent) out.
    i have to get a good look still. waiting for her to calm down. i am a mess. thanks ddawn for the links. ill look at them. i only have vaseline not prohabatbion h

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    thank your replies.
    i just went out to the coop and checked on her. her vent is back in. [​IMG]
    this is soooo stressful. i dont know if i can attempt the bumblefoot problem now. [​IMG]
    especially to her. [​IMG]
    if her foots in warm water for about 5 minutes (the most i think she will maybe sit with me now) will the problem just go away? or because its a infection: shes doomed now?
    i wish it would just fall off.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Take a deep breath! You're doing fine.

Actually there is a bumblefoot treatment that does not require surgery: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829 (I just now thought of this.)

I don't know a thing about how effective it is, and never had a chicken with this problem, but I think the thread says it worked for someone? If she's going to get so stressed from treatment that she prolapses, or is that prone to prolapse, maybe it's worth it to you. Or maybe she will be calmer next time for you.

I think sooner or later you will have to deal with the bumblefoot or the infection will just progress internally. Maybe you can give her time to be fully recovered from the prolapse first, though.

Best of luck.

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:thank you ddawn, great link you provided here. shes doing fine, although i think shes got a messy bottom now, that needs washing a bit. i was thinking giving her a warm bath. shes one of my favorite rir, she was part of our first of chickens a little over 2 years ago, so i want to help her. I thank you very much (calmer today)!

Andrea-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by