1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help quickly please...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momagain1, May 3, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Hey all; my chickens are about 10-11 wks old now...
    I have several that flew the coop today during construction time and I cant get them to get back in the brooder..they are hiding and we are missing 4 of them..
    frost warning for the night and its freezing cold out..

we've found almost all of the ones that we couldnt corral today..but we had to leave 7 of them to leave to go to town; thinking that they'd come to the heat lamp we have on the side of the porch and pile of food..

nope..instead 2 went to hide in a bush..we got them..
    1 went in a small tree..we got her...
    we see one under my porch; cant get to her..she's completely unreachable..but alone...heat lamp is near her but she wont budge...

the other 3 are no where to be found...

will they be ok overnight w/frost warnings w/no shelter except what they find? ie; bush, plant, etc??

or should I keep looking???

2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Yes, it's a bit chilly out there, but it'll be best to settle down and leave them be. Ten to eleven weeks is still a bit young, but if they're in a sheltered place, they will probably come through fine. I'd be more concerned if a big storm were coming through.

When they're all juvenile like that without any mature hen to show them the ropes, they are going to be prone to stupid behaviors. Don't expect them to do the sensible thing.

It'll be near-impossible to find them in the dark anyhow--the best thing to do now is get a good night's sleep and try to collect them by morning's light. The one under the porch should be well-protected at least, unless a random predator finds it. Get some sleep and wake up more refreshed and able to work on that coop!

I hope it turns out well! Let us know how things worked out tomorrow.

3. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Thanks; I posted in another forum here too; just wasnt sure where to put it...
    other ppl said more worried about the predators ACK...

so I've stopped looking as its 11 pm and my fingers were frozen..my son crawled under that dangerous porch and ended up
    getting cut on his stomach doing so..but got that chicken out that was by herself...he got pecked to death while he had her too..
    she was peeved off..then I took her and she was pecking the crud out of my hands/arms..but I pecked her back and then stroked her to
    calm her down..put her back in the large brooder w/the others and hse is ok...

but we'll go to bed..wake up and I'm hoping that the run will be done tomorrow and they can be nice n safe there!!!

Thanks!!

4. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    With you being new to chickens and this being the first time those chickens are spending the overnight outdoors, predators are LESS likely to know to check your property for an easy meal.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck getting that run done tomorrow--you'll feel so much better. Then get 'em locked up snug in the coop every night and you'll be golden, and your whole family will be able to stay warm! [​IMG]

5. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    they are alot warmer than you, with all them feathers. i would only worry about predators

6. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    update: Yes; we got them all...
    and tonight they are all staying in their coop for the first time...

they DONT like it..they are squawking like nuts!

Hoping that the run is done within the next few days...!!! That way they can be out and I dont have to worry about them..

AND just in case it isnt done...Brian (hubby) fixed the porch areas they were getting under ..so now they cant!!

7. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I'm glad to hear all is well [​IMG]

8. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    Your next fun thing will be trying to get them from the run to the coop at night. Young ones sometimes take a while ot learn that. You may want to keep them in the coop for a few days before letting them in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by