HELP! Quilters, I have a question about photo quilts

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Parson's Wife, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Hi,
    My MIL is sitting here with me, and she wants to know how to make a photo quilt...I've been looking online for her, I've never done one....any ideas, suggestions, know-how?
    I read about transfer paper, and directly from your printer...kinda foggy here...
    Thanks
    The Parson's Wife

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    To print photos on fabric?

Look up BUBBLE JET SET. [​IMG] Easy to use.

You soak fabric in solution (only white fabric, photos look odd on different colors)

Let fabric dry

Iron fabric, then iron onto freezer paper cut to the size of your printer paper.

Load in and print.

Let dry 30 minutes.

Rinse and peel off freezer paper.

Let dry and iron.

Done

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Yes,
    She wants pictures of her and her family on the quilt.
    And then quilt it.
    We can quilt...just never done the photo thingey.... [​IMG]

4. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Its very easy.

6. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Ok...will try a pillow for starters.... [​IMG]
    Please keep computer on once I purchase the necessary supplies... [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

8. DanverGuy

DanverGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2009
    Personally, I've done photo crazy quilts before. I took some decorative fabrics classes at the university here, and I don't like photo transfer from printing. They have several methods. The BEST method is to take the (light colored) fabric you want to a copy place that can do photo transfer to fabric. They will use an industrial heat press to do it. Now.. it's pretty expensive... for mine i used a photo that turned out to be 3x5" and it was like $10. Anyway good luck! ~B

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I did it the easy way. I went to one of those places in the malls that put pictures on mugs, shirts, mouse pads. Was able to get the guy to do it for for less than $50 for about 20 pictures. They were color and black and white and various sizes. I made if for my inlaws 50th. Wish I would have taken a picture of that one.

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    You can also buy photo transfer fabric squares that are already treated with the Bubble Jet type solution and are ready to put in your printer. Then you just choose a photo on your hard drive and print it. Or use the copier function on your printer to copy/print an actual photo. You have to use an ink jet printer, not a laser jet.

You can buy a package of the pre-prepared fabric squares at Hancocks, Joannes, or most quilt shops. June Taylor is one manufacturer among several. It also come in a roll rather than sheets for more customized projects.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by