help rabbit question "please help"

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lisa62479, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lisa62479

lisa62479 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    thonotosassa, florida
    i have a rabbit who had 7 bunnies 3 days ago....but now right after she had them her head is always turned to the side and her eyes a twiching...she takes care of her babies and eats and drinks...she just doesnt look normal...what is it? what do i do? will she ever ge[​IMG]t back to normal?[​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Pretty girl. Sounds like she had a mild stroke idk but maybe with time she will improve, animals are very resilient. Glad she is still being a good mom.. Good Luck

3. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    that's a strange one but it does sound like a stroke of some kind, or maybe something brought on by the stress of having all those babys. [​IMG] I had lots of rabbits but I've never seen that! its hard to say weather you should wait it out or take her in to a vet or something. But if its possibly life threatening and you loose her then you'd have a bunch of orphan bunnies.[​IMG] Maybe its just a strained neck but i do hope she gets better! Good luck!

4. lisa62479

Feb 7, 2012
    thonotosassa, florida
    awww thanks...i hope she makes it...she is a great mother...if she gets worse im taking her to the vet...but she is eating and drinking and feeding her babies...so im happy for that...i just wish she would get better :(

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Offhand, I'd say it sounds like your rabbit has a condition called "wry neck." It often pops up after some stress; kindling certainly qualifies as a stress. If your rabbit is able to move around in her cage, and is eating and drinking, then her chances of recovering are good. Some rabbits recover on their own, without treatment. The treatment I have used is Ivermectin. You can use the cattle wormer Ivomec (at the rate of 1/10 cc per lb. of body weight), or I use a horse worming paste that contains ivermectin. The dose depends on what product you use, because the concentrations are different, but you use the regular sized dose, and redose once per week until the symptoms disappear.

Giving all of your rabbits a dose of Ivermectin every couple of months is supposed to keep the organism thought to cause this condition in check. It is one of those things that you never really can get rid of, but most rabbits manage to live with this organism, and only show symptoms when their immune systems are not functioning at their best due to some other illness or stress. The hardest ones to treat are the rabbits that are rolling around in their cages, whose equilibrium is totally shot. Just getting food and water into them can be a huge challenge, they often die or are euthanized before the organism can be brought under control.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. lisa62479

Feb 7, 2012
    thonotosassa, florida
    thank you so much i have Ivermectin i use on most of my animals...i will try it and keep u posted thanks so much

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]lady, do you know the name of the organism associated with wry neck in rabbits? You have piqued my curiosity.

8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I agree with bunnylady's suggestions and would recommend confirming and treating this asap, We had a lovely rescue bunny who we lost as her wry neck advanced very quickly. I am not meaning to scare you and I know that for some bunnies it is really mild. I hope that it if is wry neck that your bun has a very mild case [​IMG]
    This is a site I found to be very informative when I was researching.
    http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm
    Our vet went the antibiotic route first and in hind site I think I would have tried the Ivermectin as soon as we saw the first symptoms. I also wonder about your bun's hydration just having her kits and the fluids going to nurse them. Lower hydration can exacerbate things apparently.
    Hope all settles down for her....she is a cutie. Please keep us updated.
    Babies are beautiful too.

9. lisa62479

Feb 7, 2012
    thonotosassa, florida
    thanks for everyones help...i have gave her the Ivermectin no improvements yet....we will see in the morning...one little bunny has past away this morning...im just hoping i have another rabbit that will have babies soon so i can put some of her babies with them...i just think it so much on her and i feel bad but i dont want her or the babies to die....i googled wry neck and i do believe thats what she has...so i have been doing everything is says...she hasnt been rolling so thats a good sign...i will keep everyone posted...i love this website...thank you

10. lisa62479

Feb 7, 2012
    thonotosassa, florida
    ok so i have another ? the mom rabbit isnt doning better but isnt dont worse about the same after meds....and i had another rabbit have babies so do u think i should put some or all babies with the other mom? i dont want to stress her out more...i know if my kids went to a[​IMG][​IMG] new mom i would stress out... just sayin ....lol...please help tell me what u would do....thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by