Help! Raggedy chicken

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
I have a chicken under a year old who im quite concerned for, i dont think she can molt since shes not at a year of age, shes about 7 months or so. Shes quite scruffy looking and seems off. I brought her inside along with the rooster who is very kind and below her on the pecking order (below everyone) he is extremely gentle so i figured he could be the best for emotional support.

She is very skittish and always has been because i bought her around 3 months old. When i brought her in though, she just doesn’t want to get off me or anyone, seems extremely tired, and quite calm which shes normally not. Though she still gave chase when i tried catching her.

She grooms herself a good amount, and her poop looks perfectly fine, its firm. However she is loosing a lot of feathers and her comb is growing darker. Her breathing seems off now because she will occasionally open her mouth to breathe (it doesn’t seem hot in here at all, and the rooster isn’t doing that)

She isn’t eating a whole lot, does anyone have suggestions? Im really worried.. shes sitting on my leg and her grip doesn’t seem that good as she keeps slipping off my leg, while im writing shes going back and fourth of open and closed mouth breathing.
17519379-7A9C-47D5-975A-B4E186D0E102.jpeg
In the photo her comb looks fine but its actually quite dark and almost grey looking.

Its winter here and she isn’t laying eggs, some of my chickens are (ones that are her breed but a bit younger) some aren’t.

Is she eating much? Sorry I’m unsure hopefully my post bumps this thread up.
Not really.. When i put her back out with the others because she started freaking out and screaming for the others, she ate some nutri drench in mash and some egg and a bit of other stuff, but for the entire day she didn’t eat as much as she should have.

Can you get a video of her actions? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight. Any lice/mites?

Work on hydration and see if she will eat for you.
Yes, i will. It was like a panting behavior, her throat went in and out quite fast with her mouth open, then she closed her mouth and her throat stopped, it repeated every few minutes. I didn’t see her do it outside with the others.

I will aswell, i think it is though.

She did eat more when she went out with them before bed, she ate some nutri drench in mash and some eggs. She did drink water.

Without a video of your bird it would be difficult to determine what might be wrong. With that said, I found something on YT that might be helpful to you in trying to figure out what the problem might be.

Without a video of your bird it would be difficult to determine what might be wrong. With that said, I found something on YT that might be helpful to you in trying to figure out what the problem might be.

Thank you! I will watch that. Her mouth wasn’t that wide, it was about a 1/2 inch wide.

Yes, i will. It was like a panting behavior, her throat went in and out quite fast with her mouth open, then she closed her mouth and her throat stopped, it repeated every few minutes. I didn’t see her do it outside with the others.

I will aswell, i think it is though.

She did eat more when she went out with them before bed, she ate some nutri drench in mash and some eggs. She did drink water.
Thank you! I will watch that. Her mouth wasn’t that wide, it was about a 1/2 inch wide.
Could've just been stress related from coming inside if she's a flighty bird.

Back
Top Bottom