Help!!! Rain!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jolyn, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    It started raining yesterday and my run is a mess. Dh put a roof on half of it but it's still wet. I guess the rain is blowing that direction. Anyway what should i put in on the ground? Would putting hay down help keep it from getting too sloppy. What about pee gravel?? Would the birds eat that? I wasn't expecting this much rain so soon so i didn't prepare the run to the best of my ability. I don't want my birds getting ill from the run being soggy and wet.

Help...what should i do? Should i keep them in the coop until i can get the run dry?

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I wish I had a good answer for you. You might try laying a layer of sand or something that helps it drain well. I think hay or straw will just make adobe and it would be really gross. How about adding a bunch of leaves? At least it won't be sloppy like mine gets.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hay or straw probably wouldn't be a good idea. If it gets wet, it can become moldy and will smell awful. I suggest rigging a tarp around at least part of the run fence to block the wind, and filling the run with pea gravel or mulch.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Does the run just not drain? If so, sand will help. If it will drain fine once the rain stops, then there are several things you can do. You could put mulch or leaves in there or even pallets to give them something to walk on out of the mud. I, for one, just leave mine. It doesn't hurt them to walk in mud, if it doesn't stay that way forever, and they go in the coop to get out of the rain. Hay would work but be an awful mess to clean up after the rain. And it will turn moldy, which make the chickens sick, if it's left there too long.

5. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks for all the info!!!

I think my husband has some pallets. Maybe i will put those in there. I will also get some sand and pea gravel.

Thanks again!

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Sand does help a good deal in that situation.

7. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I agree that hay or straw would be a nightmare to pick up after it's wet and muddy. (Learned the hard way.) Tarp idea sounds good and sand or crushed stone. I know what you're going through. My horse paddock has been flooding and I've been digging trenches to try to divert the rain and SNOW melt already this season. Trying to figure out the problem. What a pain right?

8. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    It is a pain. We had a rain not too long ago and the run didn't seem to flood and puddle as much. Alot more rain this time and puddles and flooding.....YUCK.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Pee gravel would probably be ok. Maybe some sand too. I have sand.

10. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I put sand in half of my run...will get more for the other side. Until then i put some pallets on the other side.

Thanks everyone for your replies and ideas. Thanks also for letting me know about the hay and straw.....I'm so happy to have this board!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by