Help Raising Chickens, What They Eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mibrahim1987, Sep 27, 2010.

1. mibrahim1987

mibrahim1987 New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Can Someone Please Help Me Please I Am A Beginner With My Questions

1) What Do Chickens Eat?
    2) I'm From London And The Average Whether Temperature Is 9° So Can They Live In That Temperature?
    3) Which Chicken Lays The Eggs The Male Or The Female And What Are They Called?
    4) How Much Do They Eat And How Much Would It Cost Me Monthly?
    5) How Many Eggs Do Hybrid Chickens A Week?
    6) How Often Do The Need 2 Exercise And How Do I Protect Them From Cats And Foxes?

Please Help Me [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I would suggest that you get a good poultry raising book...lots of them available in the UK .....and read it cover to cover.

3. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Quote:Food,yes,the female, we call them 'the big girls', that depends, that depends, More often than they need 1 exercise but less often than they need 3 exercise, I think you mean 'how do I protect cats from them', no clue on foxes.

4. KristaBeth

KristaBeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

1. Chickens eat chicken feed available at the farm stores, also table scraps and GRASS- they are kind of like cows in that they LOVE to graze.
    2. London's temps I think are kind of like the Pacific NW in the USA. They will do fine. They need a nice dry coop with some airflow at the top (ventilation holes). Get breeds that are cold hardy if you want to be extra safe or if you think they will be cold.
    3. The female lays the eggs. She is called a hen (pullet when young). The rooster is the male (cockerel when young).
    4. One of my flocks of 20 eats about a horse scoop a day. But they aren't fully grown. You can probably expect to go through a 50 lb bag a month for 6-8 large chickens is my GUESS.
    5. If you get the good layers you might get an egg a day from them even through most of the winter, except when they are molting.
    6. They need exercise all day long- they need a run to walk around in. If you free range them you have to be there to protect them or expect losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by