HELP!!!!! Raising humidity!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ro.netcmarie, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    ok, i have a homemade bator out of a fish aquarium. i have duck eggs in and its day 25, my humidity is 60% and temp is 98, it says to bump humidity up to at least 70, but i am having trouble getting it past 60%. i have a small dish on bottom with water, 3 on top, with the 2 with sponges and water. i find that adding warm to hot water brings it up but having trouble keeping it there. any suggestions?????? this is my first hatch, n i don't want to go wrong. please help. [​IMG]

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Try adding some folded damp paper towels over the sponges, or even a damp washcloth just layed in there. Good luck!

3. Ole Mule

Ole Mule Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    South Carolina
    The larger the surface area of the water the higher the humidity will be.

4. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    it is a 10 gallon aquarium. i have a wire rack made for the eggs to sit on, with some of that non slip rubber matting on top of it, should i try putting water on the very bottom even though i already have a small dish??? please help!!

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yes, either put some water on the bottom or lay a damp washcloth or paper towels right on the rack. Like Ole Mule said, the more surface the higher the humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by