help/rate coop (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by peacemaam, Feb 17, 2013.

1. peacemaam

peacemaam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Minot, ND
    [​IMG] working electricity is hardwired- inside coop and out with one light socket not inside living area

[​IMG] i

The opening above is so small, thats what makes me think it was either bantams or something like pheasants
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    entry to coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alright, so my house came with an existing coop and I am thinking it may have been used for pheasants but I am not sure. If you are experienced could you please have a look at my coop and tell me what you think? I will be cleaning it all out and bleaching everything before any chickens go in. Thanks!! the coop itself is 12x7 with 4 nests and the run is ~ 48x12..

2. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks great. Lots of space. I do not have any experience with smaller birds, but there is plenty of room there for bigger birds. Given the amount of space you have, there is enough room for 20 + full grown hens there. You should have a few more roosting bars and a few more nesting boxes for that many birds though. Rule of thumb. 4 sq ft of space per bird inside the coop and 10 sq ft of space outside in the run per bird. There should be about a foot of roosting space per bird as well as one nesting box per 3 birds. Enjoy your new place and welcome to BYC!!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Looks like you will be adding chickens in the Spring! Nice size coop and I like the sky light. It is great that you have electricity as well. You will want to have a heated water dispenser during the winter months. You may consider cutting a few opening and adding windows for ventilation. It is hard to tell how much ventilation the coop has. I have alot of various size openings in my coop with flap doors so that I can pick and choose how to vent according to the weather patterns. I add mesh to all vent openings to help keep out small birds or predators As mentioned in the other post, I would also add more nesting boxes and have them only open from the front for privacy. The netting over the run may be problematic with ice storms and heavy snow. I would probably add some 4x4s in the run with some sheets of painted plywood or beadboard overhead for some shade. A row down the middle under the netting and then the netting can angle down to the side fencing off the edges. It looks like they may have put a camper shell in the run as an outside shade area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by