Help, Raw Belly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eatyagreens, Jun 15, 2011.

1. eatyagreens

eatyagreens Hatching

Dec 24, 2010
    I have 14 rhode island red hens. they are all about 1 year old. last night i was closing there cages and one chicken was out of the cage, so i picked her up, when i did i felt the feathers on her belly really crusty and hard. so i looked at her belly in concern and there is only like 5 feathers on her belly! Her raw skin is showing and it is a very dark pink color (like its about to bleed or something.) in risk of infection? what can i do? bandage it? clean cloth taped around it? i dont have access to any exotic vets around here. I live in japan. Also, when they were chicks, i did not raise them to sleep on a perch or "pole/bar" above the ground. I know that i should have but i did not know about it then. So they all sleep in a pile, or on the ground of the coop. they eat regular chicken food (corn based). And they drink plenty of water. Please help!

2. OHmamma

OHmamma The Culling Queen

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohio
    They will get sore bellys sleeping on the ground. Mine have lost there's just while brooding eggs before. They need a perch fast before they get too sore or infected.

3. eatyagreens

eatyagreens Hatching

Dec 24, 2010
    Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by