Help really needed with sick runner duck over here in Holland

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hil54, Feb 10, 2019 at 4:38 PM.

1. Hil54

Hil54 In the Brooder

Sunday
    Hi all,

I thought I would try and get some advice here on the forum over one of my runner ducks. I have two which are sisters and 10 mths old. The ill one is the white one. They live with my one remaining chicken .. a wyandotte of 3 yrs old.

Last sunday (a week ago now) she was running about with her sister and the one little chicken I have here in the garden.. I did see once sunday that it looked as though she had miss stepped but
    she looked at me and took off again so she seemed fine. Monday morning she couldnt stand up and was moving across the lawn using her wings to move forward.

I went to the vet and he examined her for about an hour. She was fine with it all. There was nothing broken, no swelling, enough strength in the legs, no swelling in the stomach, she was not thin and there were no parasites in her droppings. The droppings were somewhat watery/green but that has got a bit better now and is darker green.

The vet was a bit at a dead end as it was hard to make a diagnosis. Her feet/toes were pinched as it wee together and pretty weak as in strength. Logically that she couldnt stand as she needed to have the flat webbed feet. The vet said it is known that a duck will show a sort of paralysis
    sign if stressed. We did have some rats here in the garden that she seemed really scared of. She was not bitten (no wounds/blood/marks) but was constantly looking and running past where they had come from..she was on edge all the time. Her sister much much less. The council
    came and sorted the rats 2 days ago. It has nothing to do with poison as she had these symptoms before the council came and the council know I have animals incl the ducks so would never risk them in any way.

She is drinking but refuses to eat really. I gave her some yoghurt and dried stinging nettle leaves in her water to help a bit. Any other food she doesnt seem to want.. have tried lots of things. Shes outside in a large hutch with her sister and chicken who are both fine and showing no symptoms at all. I put her twice a day in a water bath to help stimulate her legs which she
    enjoys. She shows sort of squinty eyes more than normal.. more like a shes having a hard time look as though pained. Shes had pain medication from the vet and from me. Vet did an injection and I give oral meds in the beak. Although a bit on the late side and still not sure what to treat, she has been started on antibiotic injections which covers most things as infections etc. Shes had two now and due for another in the morning. These will go on for a few days yet.

This morning, the day after the first injection she was more active and wanting to grab the vet with her beak. She was looking around more and seemed more with it than the last couple of days.
    She ate a little more today but the problem is her feet that "clasp"

She also tried to get off my lap and had the one foot flater for the first time .. later pinched toes again, but its in there still.. its like shes forgotten how to do it or the signal is "blocked".

Neither her of her sister have laid any egg yet.

This is a video of her yesterday in her "therapy" bath(today was more or less the same, again, its the white duck)

and two photos of the clasped feet (not sure what exactly to call it other than clasped or pinched)

I have had contact with a lovely lady in the UK whos been helping out but does anyone here know whats causing this foot problem and anything else maybe thats going on.. could it be stress from the rats?

sorry for the long post but its difficult to explain in short

Attached Files:

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. Hil54

Hil54 In the Brooder

Sunday
    this is another video taken the day before yesterday so the video in the first post was more recent. I was asked if the black duck is really female, but she hasnt got the curl in the tail as the males do. In this video you can see she uses her legs but see well how she clasps her feet.. out of the water this is the same way she is holding her feet and thats why she cant stand

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Do you have ticks in Holland?

4. Hil54

Hil54 In the Brooder

Sunday
    Yes plenty .. (I have lyme disease myself ).. cant see or have seen anything on her.. and this was very sudden.. last week sunday evening she was running around the next morning (tommorow a week ago) she couldnt stand/walk

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well possibly a tick so get looking through her feathers really good...:hmm

6. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    @Loopeend - Maybe you can contact the OP and it turns out she's not too far away from your location.

casportpony likes this.
  7. Hil54

Hil54 In the Brooder

Sunday
    Will check her all over again but did check her feathers for ticks as I am extra alert with all the animals here

8. Jpat

Jpat Crowing

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    loopend is the title of both youtube videos i was very confused haha

9. Hil54

Hil54 In the Brooder

Sunday
    Yes,sorry it was loopeend and loopeend2 but the 2 is easily missed

10. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Loopeend is the dutch word for Runner Duck! »Loop« run and »Eend« Duck. I love languages!

DuckyDonna likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: