Help! Record-Breaking Wind Chills Coming Next Week!

onyx2011

Chirping
Mar 12, 2018
Next week, it's quite possible that my hometown will be -40 with windchills. Unfortunately, my coop is not well insulated (prefab coop), and we do have blueprints for a new coop(bigger, well insulated, and easier to clean... took me forever to convince my parents!) that we'll start in the spring, however that doesn't help right now. I did hang up some tarp in an attempt to block some wind, but it only helps so much. This is only my second winter with chickens, so I'm asking for some advice.

Should I bring my birds indoors at the most intense of the cold front? This fall, I had a raccoon attack, so I only have 1 marans roo and a black sex link hen at the moment, but I was planning on getting some hens this weekend. So at most, I might have 5 birds. I know quarantining is heavily suggested, but I'm worried about them keeping warm, and it seems the extra bodies would help. If I do bring them in, I have a pole barn and my mudroom, which isn't heated but it does share 1 wall with the house and has insulated walls, so it'd be the warmer of the two. Additionally, when bringing chickens in, do they all need individual crates, or how does that work? It'd obviously be short term, and they'd be heading back outside once the record breaking cold front leaves. I know my birds are cold-hardy, but -40 in a poorly insulated coop seems inhumane!

Wow, next Wednesday we have the chance to get -40 with wind chill, what state is your hometown in? Anyways, wind chill won't matter if you have them inside a building. For me it's a low of -24 and a high of -11 without windchill, if it's similar for you then it won't be to horrible if you can just get them in a building with walls on all sides. Not sure if those temps are survivable for a chicken now that I think about it... But I do remember there was a member up north from me who has had worse temps, hopefully they will come in and talk about it soon, I can't remember their name. Make sure your birds stay dry.

I've been on a long hiatus from BYC, but seeing that forecast got me wondering what other folks would be doing to prep for Tuesday through Thursday, so I'm back. I've got 5 barred rocks and 5 silver-laced wyandottes in my little coop. all are just over six months old. I've got most of my small run wrapped in plastic with some vents in it for moisture control. Extra shavings in the coop. They took the last round of bitter cold really well, but that forecast is daunting. I'm hoping the weather people are overexaggerating for ratings, but they seem pretty serious.

Back
Top Bottom