1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help: Red Chested Barred

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lakegirls, Feb 14, 2015.

1. lakegirls

lakegirls New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

One of my barred girls has had a bald patch on her chest for a few months now. Originally thought it was a molt as there were feathers around the laying box and coop on and off. Today I noticed her spot is bright red. She is still acting and eating fine (though she's a little less fluffy than her coop-mates). We are entering a colder than usual spell here in NE Ohio and I'm wondering if there is anything I can/should do to help her. We are not heating the coop thus far this winter though I do have a red heat bulb if needed... Any advice/suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I don't think you need to be worried. I have this happen all the time and they grow their feathers back. It might take some time for her to grow them back though.

3. lakegirls

lakegirls New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank you for responding! So no need to put anything on the red area? Any idea what causes this? I'm pretty new to the backyard chicken world and in my internet and book searches couldn't find anything that sounded similar to this.

4. Autumn D

Autumn D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    if it wasn't in the winter i would think she might be going broody...

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    x2
    I would just leave her alone and it will fix on its own.

6. lakegirls

lakegirls New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by