Help! Red Golden with broken leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ahawks1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ahawks1

ahawks1 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

Need advice quickly! Came home at 7am and my red golden male was fine, my mom came home at 8 and he was limping and hopping on 1 foot. Got him wrapped in a towel and brought in the house in a box now wrapped in a tube sock with a small sock over his head to keep him calm. His leg has a small spot that blood is coming from and it seems broken right above knee joint/elbow. We tried to splint it, and wrapped his body in an ace bandage and the tube sock. Took his sock off his head to try to give him a drink and he slung off all the bandages. I have him covered in a box now where he can't see or move around to let him rest. The exotic bird vet in my area won't be available until Wednesday of next week. What is the best thing I can do in the meantime? Cam I give him anything to keep him calmer?

2. JayJay86

JayJay86 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    North Dakota
    I wouldnt give him anything , not sure what the withdrawl time would be either.. When that happens here we cull.
    In my experience It's easier to fix a chicks leg than an udult chicken.
    Maybe someone who has had success with it will chime in soon.

3. ahawks1

ahawks1 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    I'd rather not do that if at all possible because he is my only red golden and my favorite bird I have. He's very alert and very healthy. I just lost his hen last week to unknown causes, just hate to lose him now. I'm going to splint his leg again when he's rested some, but something to keep him calm so he doesn't have to keep the sock on his head would be helpful.

4. JayJay86

JayJay86 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    North Dakota
    I would just do like your doing... Maybe get a box that he fits snug in But a little taller than he is so you can shut the lid and poke lots holes in for ventilation? That would at least keep him stationary for the time being... I dont know if you can give hime anything. I'm sorry you lost your hen.. hope you dont loose this one too. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by