1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, red legs and feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shawnellabella, Aug 5, 2013.

1. shawnellabella

shawnellabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    I am constantly looking after my uncles chickens because he doesn't care for them properly, I have one of his girls with a broken toe, it's wrapped nice but the one next to it is swollen and I am afraid there is glass in it, but this guys legs are red, I don't know if they are raw from fighting the other roosters or what, but what can I do to help him? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Red legs/feet are quite common. There are usually one of two explanations that could be the cause. Poor bedding/maintenance or hormones from a younger rooster. Maybe you can give a bathe though, just like you would a dog with warm water and that could help him. Also maybe clean their run out?

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The uneven redness, particularly at his knee, suggests there's more than hormones causing it. Also the swelling of his toes at the base may indicate infection such as Bumblefoot. Generally Bumblefoot makes a larger swelling in the 'heel' of the actual foot but in some cases it spreads into the joint and bones and can infect the whole leg, even leading to death. I don't know for sure if it's Bumblefoot but you might want to check out some threads on that and see what you think. His leg and foot look quite irritated to me. Best wishes.

4. shawnellabella

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    I
    I don't think it's bumblefoot, there's no sore or scab

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: There isn't always a scab or sore. Just like with cocci, there are many different types, and not all have the classic symptom of bloody feces.

Sometimes that classic bumblefoot symptom never occurs, but the staph infection spreads to the leg's bone or other parts of the bird's system.

I don't think that's what he's got, though, it was a suggestion of a possibility. I do believe he has some kind of strong infective bacteria which is most likely highly resistant if not immune to man made antibiotics. (Otherwise it'd be gone already). It could have started with bumblefoot, but there's so many things that could be causing it.

What if he's found some species of mites, like those responsible for mange, somewhere and they've inhabited his follicles? Or it could even be something entirely new.

Anyway, I hope you find what works. If the pharmaceutical treatments keep failing, natural ones should do it. Best wishes to you and your flock.

6. shawnellabella

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    Tha
    Thank you so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by