*HELP*Red tube hang out of cloaca what to do *HELP* Vets are closed!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Animalian, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Yesterday my Faverolle Heather wasn't herself. She was just standing next to the water bowl quietly drinking, normally shes noisy, and a pig eating in the morning. I checked her over, she looked ok but I put her in the hospital cage with vitamin water, scrambled egg and moist layer mash. Later in the day she had perked up, had laid an egg, everything still looked fine but she kept farting... which I thought was weird. I was staying away over night so I thought I'd leave her in the hopsital cage till the next day just in case.

I got back at 5pm today, went up to check on her, first I noticed she didn't come out when I called her, then a horrible smell and flies when I got to her cage, she was in the sleeping part, looked ok but when I picked her up I saw what looked liked a red tube protruding from her cloaca about 2cm, and poo caked feathers beneath.

I don't know what to do. I have blue kote. Should I wash her? Try to push it back? I've never had a hen this sick and the vets are closed. I don't even own an axe so I can't cull her.

2. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Ok, wahed her a bit then trimmed her feathers so she won't get re gunked. She sucked it back in for a minute so I sprayed Cetrimol (blue kote) on her, I didn't want to spray it on the mebrane-y red bit. Now she's n the bathroom warm and in a covered cage.

3. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i wish i could help [​IMG]

4. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I think it may be a prolapsed vent. Theres so many treatments I don't know where to start [​IMG]

SO glad I kept her away from the other hens though, so they didn't peck at it!

5. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    pushed it back in twice last night, kept her in the dark all day, this arvo it's staying in! Her poo's normal again and she's stopped straining.

Also when I checked on her/fed her she told me all about her day in the dark! So she must be feeling better!

I'm wondering if I put her to bed early every day in a dark box I could stop her from ever laying eggs again/having the chance of this happening again..... But she could still live outside with her friends....

6. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i have been watching this post! lets hope everything is going to be okay and she going to be fine![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by