Help red webbing!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by UrbanBlueShamrock, Jun 14, 2011.

1. UrbanBlueShamrock

UrbanBlueShamrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    Hello, I just got my first batch of ducklings last wed. When I got them they had some brown is marks along their "toes" that almost looked like a scab? Now the webbing between their toes is turning red and you can see the veins running through it? Im not sure if this is normal or if there's something wrong with my new babies!?! I'm keeping them in a long rubbermaid "brooder" with heat lamp on one end and water and food on the other. Also using aspen shavings which i add more to their bed area about 2 to 3 times a day. Help!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Can you upload some photo's? Are the scabby parts on top of the feet or under the feet?

Are their feet really warm?

Any limping or refusal to walk, or unsteadiness as they walk?

As a precaution, and to help figure it out, dab just a little hydrogen peroxide (with a cotton swab or cotton ball or tissue) on one of the spots. If it foams, it's a bacterial infection.

Do they get to swim in a little warm water in the tub on a regular basis?

What type of place did you get the ducklings from? (don't name names, just if it's a store, an individual, swap meet, etc.)

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It is normal to be able to see the veins in their webbing while they are very small, especially if the feet are orange. It tends to get less noticeable as they grow. In darker colours you can still see them- but they dont appear so bright of course. The brown marks that look like scabs and the redness doesnt sound normal though.
    Sometimes they will bite each others feet causing some bruising, but as Amiga suggests with her questions- it could also be a sign of infection.

4. UrbanBlueShamrock

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first time posting pictures so I hope this works!!! These are pictures from two different ducklings though all of them seem to have these spots to various degrees. Is this normal???

5. UrbanBlueShamrock

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    I tried Hydrogen peroxide with no real fizzing. Also their feet dont seem too warm. As far as limping one could barely walk when we got her our of the mail box but shes doing a lot better now. As far as bath Ive gave them one on sun and was planning another for tom. How warm should the water be? Swimming pool warmor bath waterwarm? Thanks so much for your help!!!!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmm, those look like they might be abrasions. I suppose it could be a fungal infection. . . . I would have the bath water about 85 to 90 degrees F, and return them to a clean dry warm brooder to avoid chills. If anyone didn't preen themselves, I would wipe them with a dry washcloth.

I am wondering if you're seeing the beginning of an infection anyway - if the outer skin has healed over there might not be much fizzing. . . . and that's how bumblefoot starts, if I understand correctly.

I don't think it would hurt to wipe a thin coat of triple antibiotic on the bottoms of their feet for about five days, twice a day, and see if that helps. Those really look like abrasions, perhaps from concrete or other coarse surface. If someone else has seen this and knows it's something different, I would appreciate the insight!

Also, do you have vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic mix for them? It can give their little systems a boost in case they need to fight off an infection.

Riley Adams likes this.
  7. UrbanBlueShamrock

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    Amiga! What an appropriate name. Thanks so much for all your advice I really appreciate it! I will give them another bath in the morning. I take them from the bath to a laundry basket with a towel and a heat lamp until they're dry and then back to the brooder box. You dont think wood shavings would cause the abrasions? Also the redness has just started materializing in the last few days the scabs were there when we got them. Also another background fact. Most were shipped when they were 4+ days old so we didnt get them until they were a week. Not sure if that would aid in the problem. Also I will start the triple antibiotic tonight. And what is the booster mix? Where would I find that or is it something I can make? Thank you again for all the advice!! I am going now to look up what bumblefoot is. . .eep I hope they will be alright!

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think the wood shavings could abrade their feet, no. Might they have an allergy to those shavings? Anything's possible, but the aspen is supposed to be less allergenic than other shavings anyway. I used them for a while with the runners.

There are a few products and brands, but I use Vitamins Electrolytes Plus which I bought from Meyer Hatchery when I bought the runners. You can find them online or at a good feed store. I like having all three components. In a pinch, I have heard of people using unflavored Pedialyte or similar product - do a BYC search for details on that (I'm kind of tired and foggy brained right now). Probiotics can come from a very diluted plain yogurt with live cultures.

Just a guess, but it seems to me that it takes days for bacteria to multiply and cause inflammation, which may be what we are seeing. Duckyfromoz made a good point - that it is not unusual to be able to see veins in webbing. Still, I am a bit cautious when it comes to possible bumblefoot cases.

As I wrote before, if someone can identify the marks on their feet as something benign, I would be very happy to find out.

A few days of triple antibiotic will do no harm as far as I understand. And it might head off trouble.

Gotta sign off for now. Praying the little ones will have happy feet soon!

9. UrbanBlueShamrock

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    Amiga. Thanks for all of your help. I just wanted to update you. Although there are still scabs on many of their feet they have gotten much better and the redness has faded to normal ducky veins! Thank you so much for your support!

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Glad to read the good report! I know it pains me to have a duck with a health problem, especially if I don't know exactly what I am dealing with.

With foot infections, I find I need to keep at it for weeks, but it eventually resolves. Right now Zwei has a mild case of bumblefoot, and that will take a few more weeks to get rid of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by