HELP! Rejected chick :-(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DarcyRN, Jul 30, 2013.

1. DarcyRN

DarcyRN In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    Suddenly, my hen Fanny is rejecting one of the baby chicks. This is a little Dominique, and of the 8 I adopted to her, this is the only one she is rejecting, suddenly, after having them since Thursday. I tried introducing her to the other batch with my Barred Rock, but she isn't having it. What should I do with this poor baby? Fanny is chasing and pecking at it relentlessly.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is odd. Is there something wrong with the chick that you can see? Is it acting differently in any way?

If she doesn't want it you will need to put it in a brooder and keep it warm (85*-90*F) and I'd suggest stealing one of the other chicks from either mom to keep it company, or that little one is going to drive you crackers. They hate being alone.

1 person likes this.
  3. DarcyRN

DarcyRN In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    Not a darn thing wrong that I can see. It's so sad!! I may just ask my feed store id they'll rehome the poor little thing. Thanks!

4. Chickens are not politically correct. A hen may well and they often do reject even their own chicks for reasons that we humans can't fathom. Gross differences in sizes or color are the two leading causes of chick rejection but I don't think that these are the only reasons hens refuse to adopt or recognize even their own chicks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It is sad. Shame, poor little thing. I hope you can work out something for it.

1 person likes this.
  6. I'd do what sumi suggested and steal another chick and raise them in a brooder, if I were you. If you see nothing wrong with the chick, unless it's something internal, which we wouldn't see, and I doubt it after, what? a week? Poor little chick [​IMG] Can you do a brooder? I noticed RN in your name and know if you ARE an RN work hours can be horrendous.

Best to you all! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. DarcyRN

DarcyRN In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    Mithiuos, the brooder is a no. Just don't have the time.

I brought the little girl back to the fees store and my favorite cowboy will add her to the brooder his daughter tends at home. He helps me with my hens a lot. I know he'll raise her right up.

Odd. This was the only dark colored chick...maybe that was it? Which is funny, because Fanny is black as pitch!

8. Jessica Lynn

Jessica Lynn Chirping

Jul 31, 2013
    CC, Texas
    Oh the poor little thing, I'm glad you found it a new home!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] I like happy endings!

10. Oh so glad you found a solution!!! Yeahhh, it has a home. [​IMG] Ahh we can never know what is in an animals head, just like a kid, aye?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: