Help request! Possible adoption what to look for?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NHMountainMan, Jul 23, 2019.

1. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    It's impossible to know. It's likely he will change. Possibly for the better, possibly for the worse. Go meet him. But also look for and meet some roosters. I know from my own experience if I could do it over, I would have just started with pullets then adopted a mature rooster that had been raised with mature birds. A rooster that had already learned the ropes and proven himself a good flock protector and provider, was gentle with the girls and not aggressive with humans.

NHMountainMan likes this.
  2. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Songster

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Thank you again. I'm going to look for a rooster and compare. Great advice!

DobieLover likes this.
  3. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Good luck! And do post back with your final outcome!

4. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Songster

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I checkout out a beautiful 14 week old rose comb leghorn cockerel. Really impressed by him - the present owner has a German Short haired pointer that's killed several of the chickens. The cockerel showed all kinds of aggression towards the pooch. That's what I was looking for in a flock protector.
    But then I thought about those same hormones with my pullets and thought about all you said in your advice.
    So I've decided to pass on adding a cockerel to my flock. Going to hold off on a rooster too.
    I do have question - when I add new chicks next spring, if there is a cockerel in the group, would I have the same issues with my hens now being a year old?

DobieLover likes this.
  5. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    No. Having the older hens to raise him will make him better mannered with them. But you won't know if he will be human aggressive. You can try to order a breed where the roosters tend to not be aggressive and hope for the best.

6. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Songster

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Thanks as always for the great advice.
    Not too worried about human aggression. I would guess it's hard to find a great protector that isn't human aggressive.
    I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for giving me a chance to make an informed decision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: