Help requested - Splayed leg and pasty butt

alcarl

Chirping
Feb 2, 2022
Houston, TX
I've got one little chick out of 20 that hatched who is having a rough go of it. I've cleaned up the vent and will keep an eye on it but was hoping someone could take a look at my hobble. I just want to make sure I'm not too wide. I've got him separated in a shoebox in the big brooder with his own food and water.

"Due date" for these guys was Tuesday but they started Monday and he was one of 4 that hatched today. Not sure if that makes any difference or not.

IMG_0797.jpg

I adjusted the hobble to make it a little smaller but he's still having trouble standing. I can put a small amount of pressure under his chest and he'll hold his head up but he's more sitting on his butt that on his feet/legs. Not sure where to go next.

I've got one little chick out of 20 that hatched who is having a rough go of it. I've cleaned up the vent and will keep an eye on it but was hoping someone could take a look at my hobble. I just want to make sure I'm not too wide. I've got him separated in a shoebox in the big brooder with his own food and water.

"Due date" for these guys was Tuesday but they started Monday and he was one of 4 that hatched today. Not sure if that makes any difference or not.

View attachment 2982862
FYI... Mix corn meal in with the feed, it prevents pasty butt. Keep doing so until they're around 4-6 weeks of age. Or until you notice it's resolved completely but don't stop too early.

Back
Top Bottom