Help!!!! respitory and stool issues, 911!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keeversgirl, Dec 2, 2013.

1. keeversgirl

keeversgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    I am at my wits end!! I have one leghorn chicken whom a neighbor abandoned and she ended up in my yard and I have taken care of her ever since. For lack of a better term she is feral, it's rare you can catch her, she completely freaks out to human touch, like nothing I've ever seen. A few days ago she started showing signs of respiratory distress, shallow breathing, sneezing, lethargic, and some funky poos (some blood at first, and now very mucousy diarrhea, with green in it). I assumed it was CRD and put her on oxytetracyline, and the feed store suggested. She has been on it a few days and I don't really see any difference. Now I'm thinking it could be coccidiosis, because of the increasingly weird droppings, but I don't know, and like I said at my wits end. Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, advice? Anything would be more then welcome.
    Thank you so much.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Frequently, CRD or mycoplasmaG. can happen after a chicken gets coccidiosis, then gets weak and loses immunity. Does she have a bad odor that might be an indicator of coryza (I realize you probably can't get too close?) If you have other chickens, you might consider culling her before she infects your chickens, since CRD and coryza will make carriers of her and other chickens in the area. You can treat her with Corid 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid in 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days for coccidiosis. If you think she may have coryza (bad odor) you could treat for both coryza and cocci with DiMethox (sulfadimethoxine) or Sulmet (sulfamethazine.) Here is some reading about CRD, coryza, and other diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  3. keeversgirl

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't have any other chickens. I used to, but the last one had to be put down last year. :( Mine were hand raised and had no problem being touched. As far as smell, I haven't noticed one, but my sense of smell is virtually dead. I'm leaning towards coccidiosis, because we have had it here, as well as other chickens being diagnosed with it as well. Is there a time period I have to wait between giving her the coccidiostat, or can I start on that immediately? I assume they cannot be given together? I can't thank you enough for your help!

4. keeversgirl

Jul 31, 2009
    Can I start the treatment for coccidiosis right away, or do I need to wait a spell of time since she is on the antibiotic?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As far as I know, you can begin Coccidiosis treatment even while she's on an antibiotic. I would suspect a respiratory disease (possibly viral, since the antibiotic isn't working), and maybe Coccidiosis. Do you know how old the hen is?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2.

However, I would personally wait until you have finished with the antibiotic, and then give the Coccidiosis treatment. Giving both a Coccidiostat and antibiotics are hard on a bird's system.

7. keeversgirl

Jul 31, 2009
    I would guess she is about 2 years old, an adult for sure. I know they're awful together so I was considering stopping the antibiotic and giving the coccidiosis meds because the poops are changing rapidly. It's hard to tell which illness is worse though so I can't make up my mind. Does CRD always have to have the funkiness in the eyes? Because she doesn't have that.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mild respiratory symptoms could be infectious bronchitis or a mild strain of mycoplasma (CRD.) Coryza would probably have the swollen pus-filled eyes. CRD can have that in worse strains. I would go ahead and give the Corid or amprollium for the coccidiosis. Mix a new batch daily. Some people have said that they have mixed the medications (Corid and Oxytetracycline) and given them without problems, but I haven't done that.

9. keeversgirl

Jul 31, 2009
    Went through my box of chicken meds and I have Amprolium!!! It says it expired this last September, but assuming since it's so recent it should be good, and at this time of night, nothing that would have it is open anyways. I really REALLY appreciate all your help everyone. :)

I've been looking it up online but can't seem to find it....does anyone happen to know the small scale dose? (ex: 1 teaspoon per gal)

10. keeversgirl

Jul 31, 2009
    It's Amprol 128 (i hate to sound dumb, but I have no idea what the 128 means).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by