Help! respritory illness i think

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by philintheblank, Apr 9, 2012.

1. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    My easter egger hen seems to be breathing heavy and sneezing a lot... happened fast. she was fine this morning then me and the wife went for a walk. when we came home less than an hour later we could hear her breathing funny and she is sneezing a lot. i have her quarentined right now. she looks alert and is moving around alot. i felt her crop to see if there was anything stuck in her throat but it doesnt feel like anything is lodged in there that might be causing it.

does she need anti-biotics or something? any help would be much appreciated

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    This doesnt sound like respiratory problem to me. Usually there are ongoing symptoms that eventually becoming worse. I believe you might be dealing with an environmental issue such as dust from feed, or she unintentionally snorted a feed crumble in her nostril (I've had that happen)...pollen, dust, ammonia fumes from soiled litter etc...all of which can be corrected or eliminated. Check her nostrils for blockages. A warm saline flush into her nostrils might clear out any blockages.

3. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    thanks, i gave her another once over, didnt see any blockage but the weezing and heavy breathing seems to have stopped... this was my first "medical scare" thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by