1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!! RIPPED OFF TOENAIL

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady Lakenvelder, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Lady Lakenvelder

Lady Lakenvelder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    My Lakenvelder banty just ripped most of her toenail off. I put her in a small coop with straw on the floor after i cleaned the wound with peroxide. It is still bleeding. What should I do next?

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I wonder if liquid band aid would work or if there are harmful ingredients in it? Just a thought........

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    dunk her toenail in flour, this helps slow down the bleeding
    and sometimes helps it stop, ive done this on my dog it worked. [​IMG]

4. Lady Lakenvelder

Lady Lakenvelder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    I am out of liquid bandage but I just tried the flour trick and it seems to be working! Thank you.

5. lrichards

lrichards Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    Do you think flour will work on the Comb. I have a six month old while leg horn that ripped the back half of her comb. It is bleeding pretty good.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It should work.

7. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Have some 'quick stop' from the pet store on hand for bleeding toenails. It is not a cleaner or an antiseptic though, just stops minor bleeding fast. Don't use in deep wounds. Only for the surface. Corn starch works better than flour supposedly. Plain pressure for 5min is also generally sufficient for minor bleeding.

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Yes it should work. you are welcome, its amazing how simple little house hold items foods work. [​IMG]

9. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    corn starch will work very well too

10. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

In a pinch I've been told to use spider web to help stop bleeding. Roll it around in your fingers and apply to the wound. I have never had to try this, but I've been told it works, from others who have. And as spider web is usually readily available (and free) I will try it should the need arise.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by