Help.RIR hen missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Circle W Farms, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    I have a RIR hen that has no feathers around her vent. The bald spot is about the size of my fist and has a large scab in the middle of it. I tried to upload a pic but could not get it to work. How do I need to treat and should I try and remove scab to clean? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Firstly, separate her from the flock. I'll let the ER experts comment on her treatment, but cleaning the area with warm saline solution, so you can at least see the extent of the injury would be no bad thing).

I'd suggest you check out this thread for details re: feather pecking, as a means to try and prevent a reoccurrence of this kind of injury - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1148824/topic-of-the-week-feather-pecking-eating

3. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    Thanks. I just checked the entire flock and discovered another hen with the same thing but not as bad. My rooster does not have any feather loss but his vent is very red.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The sooner you can identify and remove the perpetrator(s) and try to fix things in your coop/run, the better. This kind of behaviour can spread to other birds, making things very difficult to rectify.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by