HELP ... RIR laying from the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cookiesdaddy, Aug 31, 2007.

1. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    My girls has been laying eggs for only a couple weeks now, and they have been laying consistently in the nest boxes. But within the last week I found 2 broken eggs under the roost, in the drop pit. My suspicion is that it's the RIR, who has been laying pretty early in the morning. I'm wondering if she laid them when it was still dark, when she couldn't find way to jump down from the roost? Or was it that she just preferred to lay from the roost?

Any suggestion?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have RIR....and once in a while they will do the same thing! I think they are just lazy. A hen will lay an egg, every 25 hrs....and IF it happens to come through the night, they wont get down to lay, give them a few days....all will be well again. Maybe....put a good layer of straw under the roost. Thats what I did....cushion the fall. Works for us, and her eggs fall about 4 ft! Good luck!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Same here. I've found several roost eggs lately and I suspect a particular RIR.

4. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Two of my RIR also did the same thing three times, but so far only because it was their first eggs and the shells were not properly formed and hard. Cross my fingers now, it hasn't happened again in over a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by