Help!! RIR loosing feathers on back! Large scab!

aprilmp27

Hatching
Apr 3, 2017
Jackson, GA
One of our RIR has no feathers on her back and it is scabed! Is this evidence of fighting or is it something much more! This is our first time with hens! she is only about 7 weeks old!! Help!!

Welcome to BYC. She has been scalped pretty bad. I would separate her from the others, clean the scab with Vetericyn or betadine, and apply some plain neosporin to it twice a day. Are all of the chicks the same age and breed? How big is their coop or brooder and how many birds?

Last edited:
We have 4 that are her age and 4 that are about 2 weeks younger! We are keeping them in the garage in a makeshift broader! It is 35" x 42"! We are building the coop this weekend! We think there is a mouse in the garage! Do you think it could have been it or is it the other chickens? Here is a picture of the broader!

What is the temperature in the booder? Are you using a white light? That area is too small for 8 chicks that age. 2 square feet per chick is about right, and later 4 square feet per chicken for grown ones. Seven week old chicks with feathers can maintain their temperatures without heat. 5 week olds need about 70 degrees of heat. White heat lamps 24 hours a day can encourage pecking. It is hard to find lower wattage red lamps, but they help with pecking prevention. I would make the box larger or combine 2 boxes. Raise the lamp up and have a cool spot they can get to. Use an inexpensive thrermometer on the floor under the light. With such a small box, they can't get away from heat if they feel hot. Mice can bite feathers and feet, but I don't know if that is the problem. More likely to be pecking. Here is a link with some 60 watt red bulbs, although it might be too late to get some: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5...ind1o_e7GXMu_b-u9ZCOAJUQc8I-k8W9-QaAhz78P8HAQ

Ok thank you for all the help! It is in the 70s here in ga, so the red heat lamp has been off for a couple days! I have separated the injured chick! I will find a larger area for them until the coop is built! Does the 4 square feet include the run or just the coop?

Back
Top Bottom