HELP--RIR with NAKED NECK!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Echobabe, May 7, 2008.

1. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Opinions please! I have a RIR who has systematically plucked out her neck feathers over the past 4 months.

It started when she got into a fight with another bird. There was no injury other than a feather or two yanked. Since that time, she has worked the area up and down so now she has a bald patch on the lower neck to the chest about 3-4 inches down and 1 inch across. I have looked the area over many times. There are no parasites, skin problems, cuts, etc., that I can see.

After I applied pinetar to the remaining feathers around the area a couple weeks ago, she stepped up operations and cleaned those out too!

I never see anyone peck her (she's 2nd in charge), and I really think she has been doing this to herself.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to stop? Is this common? Is there a parasite I don't know about here? I realize the feathers probably won't grow back until a molt.

THANKS for any advice!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is she eating her feathers? Have you tried upping her protein (like layer supplement or cat food in moderation) and methionine (black oil sunflower seeds)?

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Could this be stress related? Any chance they are overcrowded or run out of food or water during the day? Could she be bored? What are you feeding your birds? Could it be lack of protein?
    My mom's cockatoo did this to himself, also, and she made a collar for him like a dog gets when he's fixed. Could you make something like that for her?

4. Echobabe

Oct 30, 2007
    Yes, she must be eating her feathers because I'm not finding red ones about and she's the lone RIR.

I already supplement with sunflower oilers and they get good feed on top of being free range a good part of the day.

Maybe its boredom or habit?I was thinking of putting a knee-hi over her neck but don't know if this is a good idea or not.

5. Echobabe

Oct 30, 2007
    She still pulls out her neck feathers, almost year round. She also stopped laying eggs in 2009, at 2 years old. I wonder if there is a correlation . . .

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Are you sure she's the one doing it? Both my Marans roosters are 'naked necked' but I know it's the hens doing it. It's kind of like grooming but I really wish they'd stop. [​IMG]

Everyone makes hen saddles, someone needs to make rooster collars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by