HELP! Roo 8 mushroom stem from yard an hour ago and now having trouble

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WonderChicken, Sep 7, 2010.

1. WonderChicken

WonderChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    My DH cut the yard yesterday and today I let the chicks out to graze and saw my Roo eat a piece of white mushroom stem. I didn't see it till it was too late and I am assuming the head of the mushroom got lopped off with the mower yesterday. I can not identify the shroom by it's stem and hubby didn't notice any shrooms when he cut, but obviously it was there. The Roo is having trouble standing and walking now. I have him on the deck in a crate now to abserve him and he can get up with some difficulty though, but doesnt stay up long and lays back down. He is still interested in eating the feed on the floor of the cage. Any ideas? Is there something I can do other than pray and wait? It's as though his legs are weak and can't hold his weight.

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Gosh, that's crazy! I've never heard anything like that.

Well, until more knowledgeable folks chime in, what about a molasses flush? To hopefully clear out the toxins and get them out of his system...

Lemme go look for the link. BRB

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have no clue!! Have you tried doing a search on it to try and find some answersI bet between searching BYC and the internet you can prob find your answers!!

Missi

4. WonderChicken

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    I went out to search the yard again. I can not see any others and can't even find the place where he got that one. He got 2 pieces and a hen came near and got a piece also but so far she shows no signs. Will wait for that molasses link. Thanks!

EDIT I did search BYC and the replies were that mushrooms were not harmful...going to search the internet now

EDIT2: searching the internet for chicken eating muchroom +walking comes up with some delicious recipies...that's what I figured...

EDIT3 I put this thread in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures catagory and it is in Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying?? Can I repost this in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Here's a link with the info in regards to the molasses flush: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=505062

I would be very, very careful though when flushing. The whole point of the flush is obviously to get the toxins out, but you'll also dehydrate him pretty severely really quickly, so I would get some electrolytes to quickly rehydrate him post flush.

6. WonderChicken

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    Are their any household items I can give for electrolytes?

EDIT I have electrolyte power for equine. Would that work?

7. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hmmm, gatorade (diluted) and pedalyte are both good re-hydrators. Though because rehydration in this case will be so critical, I would recommend going by your local TSC, Southern States, feed & seed, etc to pick up a packet of Vitamins & Electrolytes. Not expensive at all and will do the job the quickest and most effectively.

See this thread with threehorses warnings. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=221676

GOOD LUCK!

8. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Most likely, what's the label info? Can probably look up a quick conversion for poultry.

9. WonderChicken

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    I will run to the feed store and see what they have. If they don't have it I would try pedialyte over gatorade. I think it has less sodium, not sure.

EDIT ELITEĀ™ ELECTROLYTE

Farnam

Electrolyte Salts

Guaranteed Analysis:

Calcium, Minimum
    0.25%

Calcium, Maximum
    0.75%

Salt (NaCl), Minimum
    68.00%

Salt (NaCl), Maximum
    73.00%

Potassium, Minimum
    11.00%

Magnesium, Minimum
    0.40%

Ingredients:

Apple Flavor: Salt (Sodium Chloride), Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Lactate, Potassium Sulfate, Artificial Apple Flavor, Artificial Coloring.

10. WonderChicken

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    UPDATE: He seems to be doing better. Still eating and drinking & is getting up and down alot better now. His first few poops were firm but have since become more runny but not complete water. Will keep him on the deck with me to continue to observe. If it seems to worsen will consider flushing. Thanks everyone! Your a great help. Will update later.

Edit it's been about 2 hours now since he ate that mushroom stem. Hopefully the worst is over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by