1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help, Roo broke off toenail. It won’t stop bleeding.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CJsCoop, Jan 13, 2018.

1. CJsCoop

CJsCoop Chirping

Oct 1, 2017
    York County, PA
    Our cockerel broke his toenail off completely. It won’t stop bleeding. We cleaned it, used styptic powder, and applied pressure for nearly ten mins. We have crazy glue, considering that next. Any other recommendations?

TheGirlOverThere likes this.
  2. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    keep pressure and blood stopping powder applied chickens toenails take FOREVER to stop bleeding just keep at it

CJsCoop likes this.
  3. cholland

cholland Songster

Jan 17, 2017
    California
    You can try cornstarch powder if you don't have anything else. Direct pressure.
    They do bleed for a while and it's really hard to wrap a single toe with a bandage.
    I've had a few of these. They recover pretty fast.

4. CJsCoop

CJsCoop Chirping

Oct 1, 2017
    York County, PA
    Thank you!!! We just did round 3 of styptic powder and pressure. And we put him in the quarantine coop. Cooper is not happy being away from his girls, but he did eat. I gave him a scrambled egg, some all flock pellets, and water with rooster booster.

5. CJsCoop

CJsCoop Chirping

Oct 1, 2017
    York County, PA
    He’s still bleeding a bit, btw. It has really slowed down though. I’d love to wrap it, but I’m not sure how to. He’s a black copper marans with heavily feathered feet.

I have no idea what he does! He’s broken pin feathers on his feet twice before. The styptic powder worked right away on those.

Squishychicken likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: