Help! Roo eye issue

Melschen

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2016
Our 9 month old CCL Rooster, Archie, suddenly has a swollen eye. It's hard to the touch and no discharge. I've tried some vet Rx on him with no change. He's acting pretty normal except that he's been crazy aggressive to me today. What can I do? We don't have a chicken vet in the area.

I'm not a vet, but I have seen that type of eye swelling on tv vet shows before and know that in a chicken, the pus tends to solidify. Watched a vet on tv basically try to manipulate the lid open and pull the pus plugs out with tweezers.

If it was me and you can do what you want, I would prep a small area(clean it good) and take a sharp sanitized knife and make a small cut and see if I could squeeze or pop the pus out that way. I'd wrap that rooster up real snug in a towel before trying. I'd have some type of eye antibacterial ointment to put on the wound after pulling out the pus and hope it closes up on it's own. That would be the problem depending on the cut. Could need a stitch or two. I would try to get it out through the lid opening first though. I have my doubts. It looks huge!

I don't know it could be a blocked tear duct? But every time I saw one of those on tv, it was solid pus. Some type of eye infection or maybe sinus infection in the chicken I guess.

Last edited:
That looks like a synisis infection or blockage that can not drain into the nostril or eye. The last chicken I had with a similar problem we had to cut the lump and extract the lump. Believe it or not the chicken didn't seem stress or in pain by being cut. After the lump was removed we cleaned inside the cavity then dried closed and super glued over the cut.

Im not sure of the web site we found that had a video that we followed but it worked and there no scar that we can see after 4 months.

Any vet that's show the procedure should be able to do the surgery especially as the bird is awake and no drugs are used.

A smaller lump especially in the corner of the eye can be manipulated out via the eye lid. (also a video on line showing how to do that) The eye lid in a chicken is different from a human eye as it seems to have 2 eye lids and the lump will come out from between them.

From what I have read this can be caused by a piece of food getting inhaled into the synisis or a breathing type infection so a little after care might be in order.

Hi for the eye ! I believe warm compress might work ! Seem that he has a clog tear duck . Get a small rag and soak in warm water then hold the rag over the swollen area ! If possible 3 times a day for 10 to 15 min ! I am pollito loves Pio dad and I and an optician specialize and licensed. I treated my own duck pollito and eye healed nicely. Pls let us know how it goes.

Hi for the eye ! I believe warm compress might work ! Seem that he has a clog tear duck . Get a small rag and soak in warm water then hold the rag over the swollen area ! If possible 3 times a day for 10 to 15 min ! I am pollito loves Pio dad and I and an optician specialize and licensed. I treated my own duck pollito and eye healed nicely. Pls let us know how it goes.

Would a blocked tear duct be hard to the touch?

Hi its PollitolovesPio....My name is Irene nd I spoke to my husband he said that it would be hard -somewhat and swollen but like a bag swollen not hard as a rock. Seems to me that it might be that Pus thing these folks mention - how it solidifies. The compresses do help open up pores.

I remember once on me I had something like a pus pocket and the compress helped open up the skin to expel. It was on my thigh so it was hurting because of the pressure. eventually I had a nurse make an incision and something that looked like a pod came out - which is the pus solidified

Might be similar for your Archie.

Please let us know and good luck
Irene

Poultry put turns into a hard lump, sort of like a firm cheese. While a warm compress won't hurt, it's probably not going to help.

Back
Top Bottom