help, roos or hens? finally with pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bangor777, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Songster

May 4, 2008
    Hi, all of these chicks are about 7 weeks old. Thanks in advance! if you click on the photos they get a little bigger.

[​IMG]

#1: rhode island red

[​IMG]

#2: delaware/BLRW mix

[​IMG]

#3 2 BLRW mix chicks

[​IMG]

#4 luna, mixed chick

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would say that #1, 3, & 4 are pullets. #2 looks like a roo to me!

Your chickens are all beautiful! [​IMG]

3. jdypat

jdypat Songster

I think they are all pullets..

4. bangor777

bangor777 Songster

May 4, 2008
    oh, I'd be so excited if they were all girls. The one with the big comb and wattles had 3 siblings with combs and wattles that were twice the size as his/hers at 5 weeks. That's why I took her, hoping that she was a girl. she has really pretty coloring, black and white with blue and tan lacing. my son calls her checkers. Keep the guesses coming!

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I agree with gumpsgirl. None of my 7 week olds ever had a comb or wattles like that.

6. normajean

normajean Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    Quote:Ditto!

7. bangor777

bangor777 Songster

May 4, 2008
    hmmm, agreeing with you now. I just let my little 3 1/2 week olds out for a bit of sunshine with the big girls (and boys) and stayed and supervised. The brahma roo did the occasional warning peck when the little ones pestered him, but checkers (the possible roo in the photos above) chased them, grabbed necks and acted like a total bully! I kept having to chase him off the little ones. The rest of the flock were fine, a bit standoffish but no pecking. The mixed roo was terribly mean. Oh well, I guess they all have different personalities. in the interest of peace I think I'll give him away. I hope he goes as quickly as the RIR roos did!

8. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Songster

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    I also think number 2 is a roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: