1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help? Roo's or Hens??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChancetheChickenMI, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ChancetheChickenMI

ChancetheChickenMI New Egg

Aug 6, 2008
    Benzonia, MI
    Hi All,
    I am a new chicken owner.[​IMG] Oddly enough never liked any type of birds at all. Bad experience as a child with a Goose LOL!! Then a woman down the road convinced me it would be a great learning experience for my kids if i Incubated some eggs and hatched them!! So I agreed to and she agreed to take the chicks when they were born. But, when they hatched she refused she told me 4 chicks were not worth her time and I should take them into the woods and let nature take its course (let the coyotes eat them). [​IMG] Well needless to say there was NO WAY I was gonna do that so I became a chicken momma lol......Now my little ones are 9 weeks old. And I've grown to adore them......My question is breed and sex? Here are some pics. I think I have an idea myself interested in anyones input.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fergie LOL unless shes a roo

[​IMG]
    Elvis unless hes an Elvira??

[​IMG]
    Dixie shes such a sweetie!

[​IMG]
    Presley?? Or Pricilla???

2. Denali (Auntie's Shadow)

Denali (Auntie's Shadow) Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Probably drawing!
    The last one is probably a roo, and the others, hens. He's a Presley... Look at his comb...

PS.- Interesting story!! That lady, though....[​IMG]

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Presley is a HE...all others are hens.....Comb height tells the tale...

Welcome to your new obsession!!!

4. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting story!! That lady, though....[​IMG]

I agree [​IMG]

I'm glad you've decided to keep them.....but be warned......you'll want more! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  5. ChancetheChickenMI

ChancetheChickenMI New Egg

Aug 6, 2008
    Benzonia, MI
    LOL I'm already obsessed ......been checking out the McMurray Catalog [​IMG] Any clue on the breeds?? I was thinking Elvis (now Ellie) is a Black Copper Maran???

6. Denali (Auntie's Shadow)

Denali (Auntie's Shadow) Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Probably drawing!
    Maybe! ^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by