Help! Rooster almost drowned!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mallisa, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Mallisa

Mallisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Stupid me didn't have a lid on my water barrel and I just found my 3 year old bantam mix floating in there! He is now towel dried and blow dried but is kind of hickupping . I know he must have aspirated water is there anything I can do to help get the water up?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I would rub his back and try to get him to hurl up the water...you should be able to hold him upside down to help. Like they do with sharks, just don't do it too long.

3. Mallisa

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Thank you, he has stopped hiccuping and is sitting up on his feet now much more alert. Still weak and gasping a little. Praying and holding him until he is stable.

4. Mallisa

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Oh my goodness, Whitney! After he leveled off a little I did what you said and you should see the water that came up! Amazing, still wheezing , going to try it some more in a minute, THANK YOU!

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Wow lucky save. Just remember humans and so you would think chickens as well can appear fine but then die hours later from water in the lungs. So he isn't out of the woods just yet so keep an eye on him.

1 person likes this.
  6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Glad to help. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by