Help! Rooster attacking the other Roo since 2 hens were added in..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewBostonChick, Jul 2, 2011.

1. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Please Help! I was given 2 hens 2 days ago, Barred Rock and Araucana.. I already had 7 chickens 4 are RI Reds and 3 are NH's.. The 2 Roosters are NH's.. As of today the rooster that was the calm one is not viciously attacking the other Roo since 2 hens were added in.. The Roo who is being attacked is now bleeding and his knob thing on his foot has been taken off... Why is this happening since the 2 new hens came? Is it a dominance thing? Will this stop or should I re-home the Roo that is taking a beating? Please help...

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would say its a dominance thing. Where the all raised together before the two new ones where added? If so thats why, he is claiming them as his. I have never added old enough hens to my flock so im not positive but im 99% sure thats it. You can either wait a bit to see if it gets better or rehome the one you least prefer.

3. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Yes, all the 7 chickens I have were raised from one day old together.. the 2 new ones are 2 years old and all my others are a year old.. I think it has upset the pecking order and I agree.. the rooster that had been the calm one is claiming the 2 new girls as his.. I hope someone will want my Roo named Frosty before he is brutalized.. I wish I had another coop and pen to separate them.. I'll have to do something by tomorrow as I am afraid he will not be in good shape if left in the pen... or get rid of the 2 new hens... I wonder if the aggressive behavior would stop if I got rid of the new girls? Oh boy..

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I dont think getting rid of the new hens will change it. If you have a large dog kennel you can put one rooster in that with the 2 new hens and make that coop number two and just make another run for them and boom you can keep them both. And look on craigslist for items you can use to make another coop or just make a small one yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by