HELP! Rooster just ate my earring!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bkterry, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Okay I might be worrying about nothing but I was just out at the coop spending time with the chickens. I was sitting on a tree stump and my 6 month old barred rock rooster was sitting in the coop behind me when all of a sudden he grabbed my earring out of my ear and gobbled it up before I could get it back. It was a small (fake) diamond stud so I wasn't a huge earring but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if this will harm my chicken or if he will just poop it out. What can I do if anything?!?!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    There have been similar posts in the past. Yeah, I guess they all eat earrings if given the chance. If you do a search, you should find some info.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Whew, good thing it was fake. It'll be fine.

4. bkterry

Mar 6, 2008
    This isn't the first time one has pecked at an earring or at my wedding ring, but it is the first time one has actually swallowed one so I don't know what to expect!

5. bkterry

Mar 6, 2008
    Yes, I wanted to make sure I was clear on that... I'm not worried about the earring at all...just the rooster!

:pGood thing too, I wouldn't want to have a wade thru chicken droppings for the next few days searching for a lost diamond

6. roo should be fine, just watch where you walk for a couple days.They will eat most anything they can get. marrie

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'd be worried about the post on the earring penetrating his crop or something. I don't know what to tell you! I don't think he'll poop it out, their digestive systems don't seem to work that way (I may be wrong, it's not unlikely!). All food has to be ground up first, and I don't think he'd be able to grind up a metal earring. I guess just watch him and see what happens. I don't know about regurgitation, but I know that when my little chicks were sick they couldn't swallow all the way and ended up with food caught in their throats right under their beaks. I had to push gently on the lump of food (this was NOT their crops, I've heard to NEVER put pressure on a chicken's crop) and the food was visible in their throats. I could then remove it with a pair of tweezers. Good luck, I hope he's okay! Maybe see if it went down all the way and make sure it's not caught in his throat.....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. bkterry

Mar 6, 2008
    Did check his mouth and throat and couldn't see any sign of the earring so I guess it went on down unless he just happened to spit it out somewhere when I wasn't looking [​IMG]

9. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I hope he's ok, but I'd be real careful letting him get that close to your face. He could put out an eye. I don't trust roos, or hens either, for that matter.

10. bkterry

Mar 6, 2008
    Trust me I know, they can be dangerous but they just don't know any better! Actually he was behind me when he did it so how he managed to pull my earring out from behind and gobbble it so quickly who knows....He's good for now, hopefully I won't have anything bad to report.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by