Help! Rooster lethargic, won’t eat or drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cole Campbell, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Cole Campbell

Cole Campbell In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2019
    I found my rooster laying on his side, lethargic and won’t eat or drink. I tried dipping his beak in water and he wouldn’t drink it. Help!

2. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    How old is he and when did he start acting like this?
    Can you post a picture of him?

3. Cole Campbell

Aug 22, 2019
    He is six or seven months old. He is a silkie. He was fine about 3 hours ago and I went to shut the coop and he was laying on the floor like that.

Attached Files:

4. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    Poor thing, has this happened to any of your other chickens before? Has he been getting worse since you found him?

I don't really know what to do other than comfort him and possibly take him to a vet, but I hope someone will have good answers.

Keep me posted on how he is. I really hope for your sake he's okay

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Cole Campbell

Aug 22, 2019
    This is him currently. Please, anybody, please help me make my baby better. His crop is completely empty. He’s having occasional yellowish stool. He still won’t take water, I used a syringe to drop some down his throat, but he keeps trying to spit it out. He’s having occasional seizes.

Attached Files:

6. Cole Campbell

Aug 22, 2019
    He has passed away. I tried CPR but it was too late. If anyone has any idea what this was that took him, please let me know so I can treat the rest of my flock.

7. Suedan

Suedan Songster

Sep 18, 2019
    Maryland
    I'm so sorry! Sending hugs to you! Im sure someone with experience will be a long soon with critical care advice. Keep him warm in the mean time.

8. Suedan

Suedan Songster

Sep 18, 2019
    Maryland
    I'm so very sorry! :( Go ahead and post any other concerns with the rest of your flock in case there are recommendations. I'm so sorry once again.

9. Cole Campbell

Aug 22, 2019
    I have some young chicks isolated in a coop on their own. The other day one of them was very fluffed up and it’s wings were droopy and then it was dead the next morning. I started treating them for cocci because from what I read that seemed like the most viable answer. I don’t know if he was exhibiting the same symptoms before I found him. Should I treat my whole flocks??? Like I said the little ones were completely isolated.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  10. This literally how I just found my 3mo old Silkie. Some people thought it might be "Meark's" I had her body sent out today to the "state vet" for testing
    As this can effect the entire flock
    Sorry for your loss so sudden.. Mine lasted 5days on her side till ahe finally passed today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: