Help!! Rooster making gurgling and sneezing noises

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theron, Sep 11, 2010.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    My rooster seems as though he has something caught in his throat. When I pick him up, he starts to gurgle when he breathes. Other than that he is fine. He eats and drinks and I have been putting vitamins and electrolytes in the water. He sometimes sneezes as though he has something caught in his throat and when he crows its almost a lower octave than it was before.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. A 1yr old EE Rooster
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. An almost gurgling when picked up and sneezes as if something is caught in his throat
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A couple of days now. It has been kind of chilly for the past couple of days now.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No... thank goodness.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Purina and drinking water with vitamins and electrolytes
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? vitamins and electrolytes
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? I willing to treat it myself
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use chicken coop w/ pine shavings and free ranging

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    can you hear his chest rattle? put your ear up to it. Derimyician(sp)

3. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    How long have you been putting the additives in his water?

As a start, if he sounds bad you may want to put him in a nice warm cage by himself for a few days. (If he's not super friendly, catching him at night on the roost is easier and reduces stress.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by