Help! Rooster or a hen???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ckseals, Dec 4, 2009.

1. ckseals

ckseals Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Archibald is an 8 month old bantam, so at this age you would think I would be able to tell if he/she is a roo or not. He/she does not act like the other girls. He/she does not dirt bathe as often and when they are out in the yard, he/she goes off on his/her own to explore and does not always stick around with the girls. I have been told that Bantam chickens have more personality and tend to do their own thing... Also, his/her neck feathers are quite long and pointy. BUT, Archie's tail feathers do not resemble rooster tail feathers...well, to me anyway. And he/she has not crowed...at 8 months, a rooster better be crowing! However, he/she has not yet laid. Please help...also, how do I post a photo on this thing? That would be more helpful...

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    We can tell easily with a photo. It's frustrating not to know.

Click 'Uploads' in the menu bar across the top of the page ------^

Browse to the pic you want to upload and then click upload- wait patiently until the image shows up with two lines of code underneath.

After you upload the image, copy the stuff that's in the 2nd line under the picture when it's done. Paste those words in your post, and it'll turn into the picture after you hit 'submit' on the post. It doesn't show until it's submitted.

It should look like this, "{img]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14596_august09_426.jpg[/img}" but without the quotes and the beginning and ending brackets will automatically be normal brackets.

3. ckseals

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Archibald is the white one. Rooster or a hen?
    Does not crow, does not lay. 8 mo. old. Long/pointy neck feathers, not rooster-like tail feathers yet.

Help please! [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Soon you will see Archibald drop and squat when you come near, and soon after that, you will get lovely green eggs from her! Congrats!

5. ckseals

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Yaaaaay!!! Thank you! [​IMG]

6. ckseals

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Someone posted this..."Looks like a roo to me! Looks like saddle feathers coming in and the tail looks rooish." What do you think?

7. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    whattt a hen [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Naw. Saddle feathers would be in like mad and the comb would be huge if it was an 8 mo. old roo.

Mine looked like they were made of pointy feathers and comb by that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by