Help, rooster sliced his own neck open (graphic pic)

Froh

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2016
I have a disabled months old small rooster with a deformed leg, he often topples over and struggles on the floor due to his one leg being grown sideways.
Within a span of a few days he developed a big wound/scab on his chest, which I suspect to be self harm?
however just now I witnessed him struggle with his leg and caught his own claw on his neck. On closer examination there is a giant gap wound through his neck, presumably cut open by himself overtime.
I am currently unable to take him to a vet, and there are also no specialized vets around. What can I do to help him?

0E603C53-6F17-4EFC-871D-8580A876FDB5.jpeg 5CD4496E-715B-49BA-84EB-16018F4EAA17.jpeg

Where are you located? Flour or corn starch can be used to stop active bleeding. Chlorhexidene or Vetericyn are both good to treat and clean the wounds. Plain Neosporin or similar antibiotic ointment can be applied to the wound until it heals.

Are you sure that he was not attacked by a predator? Is his crop in the upper right chest damaged at all? Does any food or water leak out? A damaged crop could reduce his chances of doing well.

Where are you located? Flour or corn starch can be used to stop active bleeding. Chlorhexidene or Vetericyn are both good to treat and clean the wounds. Plain Neosporin or similar antibiotic ointment can be applied to the wound until it heals.

Are you sure that he was not attacked by a predator? Is his crop in the upper right chest damaged at all? Does any food or water leak out? A damaged crop could reduce his chances of doing well.
I'm located in a more suburban area in the mountains in cali, and the vets I've been to around treat mostly dogs and cats. We have brought in a parrot before and they could not do much for him..
There's currently no active bleeding besides what looks like dried blood on his feathers, and for an emergency treatment I sprayed some lanacane first aid spray and wrapped his neck with gauze, enough to not slip but not choking him.
As for the potential of being attacked, he lives in a fully enclosed coop/run with 30 other chickens and due to his leg condition he has difficulty moving so he stays inside the coop usually. His crop seems fine as far as I can tell, aside from the big scab in the center of his chest. The crop felt empty, but after treating him and putting him back he was willing to eat out of my hand and drink on his own.

This was a post about his leg issue previously, which seems to have worsened as I have not been able to find proper accommodations like a wheel chair for him:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...h-deformed-leg-live-more-comfortably.1490107/

just an update, the wound on his neck and the scabs on his chest seem to be infected since there is a bad smell coming from the area.
I went over the black scabs and the gaping hole with iodine solution, and noticed that the flesh around the hole are turning dark to black ish.

He is eager to eat, however after he eats he starts gasping for air and looks like hes having a hard time swallowing. Earlier he almost suffocated from what I assume to be choking on food, he face turned purple and body went limp for a few minutes, and giving him a few drops of olive oil seemed to have helped. I am limiting the amount of food he has access to for now and only feeding by hand from time to time.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a stationary wheelchair you can use an empty cardboard box, cut holes out for the legs and cut the top and some of the sides off and then put bricks underneath it on both ends to keep him elevated

How is he?
I've been applying a medical spray on his wounds twice a day and eventually let him hang out in a confined cage outside with others during the day. His chest actually healed up almost entirely now, and the neck is almost mostly covered by big scabs, although you can kind of still see a hole in it. But he's doing much better now!

BDAC3FB6-69FF-43F1-927D-56085B0F7E7B.jpeg
FEAD126F-FCAB-44CB-969B-4A56D10187AE.jpeg

And where in Cali are you? I live in South Nevada County. I've got a great bird vet!
I'm on the border of Orange County; just curious though, for general chicken visits do they cost as much as dogs and cats? I've heard that they are pricey and many usually refuse to work on chickens or suggest putting down since they are seen as commodity

I'm on the border of Orange County; just curious though, for general chicken visits do they cost as much as dogs and cats? I've heard that they are pricey and many usually refuse to work on chickens or suggest putting down since they are seen as commodity
They are the same for me as for my dogs and cats. But the vet will give phone/email advice for free. Last time I took in my duck, he didn't charge me for the visit because he really didn't do anything- he just told me to continue what I was doing for her bumblefoot.

Oddly, the mobile vet I have for my goats is cheaper... That seems kinda weird to me...

Back
Top Bottom