Help! rooster was droopy tail feathers! acting sick! HELP!

CrazyChickensEverwhere

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
1) What type of bird , age and weight. bantam game, Dont know the wiegh but hes not underweight. feels healthy.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. He is letting his feathers droop, and isnt moving way to much, usually he will bok at me and run away, today he walked away from me and I caught him very easy.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? yesterday (thurs night)
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Well He got entered into the flock a week ago, and maybe isnt understanding the feedtime. and were the waters located....?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. a little. he doesnt push the hens out of the feeder, he waits tell there done, and when there done there is nothing left
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? well I have him in a cage at the bottom of the flock, with food and water
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? (myself)
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine shavings, and hay

Extra info. The flock has excepted him. And hes clean, No mited or lice/ no dieases/ no worms. healthy boy.

Maybe he's a bit put off by the different living conditions. Did he act this way when you first introduced him and has subsequently gone downhill in disposition, or was he always this way from the get-go? Perhaps take him aside and make sure he gets something to eat.

Um, when I first put him in there he was pretty energetic. But through the cage bars he would try to fight the alpha hen. a couple days later a let him out he got in a fight with the alpha, won. And is now in control of the flock. maybe hes getting tuckered out from the new living conditions, hes got alot of hens now. Theres a banty coop aside of the standard coop so he listens to the rooster over there, and he got in a fight 3 days ago. And there was not blood shed so i dont know. He was just starting to mate also. Or maybe he doesnt understand how to use my feeder in my coop? Hmmm

Oh! or maybe because yesterday I let them out to free range, and today I diddent so hes bummed I dont know.....
hu.gif

Poor guy! Social upheaval and competition. If he did get in a scrap with the hen, he may have an injury you can't see. If he's not showing any identifiable symptoms (weird poo, sneezing, etc.), it would be tough to even guess. Certainly make sure he eats and drinks though, and watch him closely.

Ill check for inguries. I supply them with the required amount my local feedstore worker told me. How much do you supply? so I can calculate exactly.

Last edited:
I think a shortcoming in following guidelines is that doing so doesn't factor in that some chickens are little piggies and others are less assertive. A generalized amount is a "guide", to be adjusted according to circumstance. If one isn't getting food, it will die. If another eats too much, it'll get fat. So I suppose it depends on your level of willingness to intervene. But not convinced that's the problem, since you said he was energetic before. It's not helping that he's not eating though...

Update: went out there, his tail feathers were on the ground. So I opened the coop door, opened his cage door and let them out, he started clucking, picked his tail feathers up and went out with the girls. hes currently flirting with my RSL girl, and scratch.

hu.gif
???

Back
Top Bottom