HELP! Rooster with frostbite - can't keep his head up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hemigirlone, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hemigirlone

Hemigirlone New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    I have a leghorn rooster whose wattles got swollen from frostbite. He has been in the house for 3 days , he can't pick his head up & the swelling doesn't seem to have gone down. I'm hand feeding him watery mushed food with dried mealworms, sunflower seeds & feather fixer for protein. I've also given him yogurt, scrambled eggs & oatmeal. He wants to eat & is drinking, but not on his own. He does seem a tiny bit better today . What can I do for him, or do I put him out of his misery.?

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Have you coated them with Vaseline? I don't know exactly what all it does for them, but 5 days ago I found that both my boys had gotten frostbite on the wattles. One just had blackened edges, the other had huge swollen wattles. I coated both with Vaseline as that is the recommendation I found. I've recoated every other day and the swelling has gone down completely and the wattle tissue that was swollen has now shriveled up and turned black, he actually doesn't look too bad, but he isn't going to have those big pretty red wattles anymore. Mine never stopped eating, drinking, crowing, etc..... the only way I even knew it bothered him, was a lot of head shaking . Good luck with him.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    You need to put aloe vera (which would be the best) or vaseline on the frostbitten areas, try to get him to keep eating, and keep him in warm areas. I hope your rooster gets well!

4. Hemigirlone

Hemigirlone New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Thank you all for your replies. I did coat with Vaseline, but after the damage had been done. I had let them out in the AM & during the day it turned bitter cold & windy, he must have stayed out in it instead of getting shelter. I got some Metacam & hope that will help.

5. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    From what I read, it acts as a preventative, but also helps after the fact. Mine was applied after the damage was done as well, and I have not brought them inside. They have access to a nice solid coop that actually sits inside my huge barn, but they do not go in it. They are pets more than anything and I've yet to get an edible egg from the hens, they eat them, so they are kind of allowed to do as they please. We didn't want roosters, so we bought pullets and guess what? [​IMG] Guess what I'm saying is while I do not want them to be in pain or suffer, they are kind of on their own, as hubby will not have them living in the house. How long ago did you discover the swelling?

6. Hemigirlone

Hemigirlone New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    I noticed the swelling Friday night & immediately brought him in. At the time, he was standing up fine. The next morning he was a wreck, lying on the floor of the cage & shivering. We put him in a warmer location & started to 'force' fluids via a syringe into his mouth. He stopped shaking pretty quickly & stands, but his head is slumped down almost to the floor. It is one sad sight....x.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    How is he doing? I managed to snap a quick pic of my guy's frostbite through the window. This is the one who's wattles were really swollen when I discovered the problem. They've shriveled up and turned black now.
    [​IMG]

9. Mommamandyx4

Mommamandyx4 New Egg

Jun 4, 2014
    Fair Grove Mo.
    So glad I jumped on here ! My beautiful Black Copper Maran has caught the "frostbite bug" as well and I was at a loss on what to do. Looks like I am off to go get some triple antibiotic ointment. I am so sad I didn't pay closer attention and caught it sooner, he is simply gorgeous and I wanted to show him this year in the fair. His comb will never be the same... [​IMG]

10. Hemigirlone

Hemigirlone New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Thanks for checking in & for the picture of your 'roosty'. The wattles on my bird are still swollen and the darkness is starting to show up; it's about half the wattle. I'd like to just lob those suckers right off! (Don't panic, I wouldn't). His head is still down. My vet gave me Metacam, as recommended by the Chicken Chick - supposed to help with the pain & swelling. Yesterday morning he ate like a champ (hand fed) & even managed a feeble gurgling crow, but today he was kind of lack luster. I realized this morning I should probably give him the Metacam & then feed him awhile later so maybe it won't be so painful for him having us hold his head up & wattles out of the way. I spoke to a vet who works with chickens & she said to give it 10 days. This is just one big bummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by