Help! Rooster with torn wattle!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    My usually peaceful roosters decided to beat each other up this morning. My OEGB rooster is really beat up and bloody and I'm about to give him a bath. One of his wattles has a big tear in it but it is nowhere close to falling off. He already had a chunk torn out of his wattle a year ago by another rooster, and I'm afraid that if this part tears of he will hardly have any wattle left. Is there anything I can do to re-attach it? There is no way I would be able to cut it off, and it doesn't look like it will tear completely off anytime soon. I really want to get it re-attached! Please help!
    Thanks.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    This may sound strange but you could try super glue (basically liquid stitches). To do this the wound should not show signs of healing yet (scabbing over) and you want to push the pieces together how they would normally meet and glue on the outside only. You don't want to glue between the pieces because you want the normal blood flow to restore with healing. Like any stitches this may leave a scar but if it was recent enough and the wound is clean it can be repaired. You also want to keep him away from the other chickens while he heals. Chickens will pick at any blood they see and you don't want him to get hurt again before he can heal. Good luck!

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks so much for your reply. I did think about that but I took a different route. Instead I placed the torn edges back together the way she should be and put medical tape over it. I dont know if it will work but I figured it was worth a try. I'm not to worried about the other chickens pecking at him because the 2 of the hens that he stays with are broody. :rolleyes: My fingers are crossed!
    Thanks again for your reply!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    It should work, the idea is to hold the parts close enough together so the new skin that grows can fill the gap. Depending on the grade of medical tape you may need to replace it before the healing is done. Like bandaids some are sticker then others.

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Would I need to replace it due to hygiene or it losing its stickiness? It seems really sticky and I don't think it will fall off. I think the only reason it would come off is if one of the hens pecks it off, but I have him separated so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks again for your help! :)

6. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    Loosing it's stickiness, some just don't stick as well as others. It sounds like you have a good one so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by