Help, rooster won't stay home

Morgan8996

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2017
I have a black birchen maran but he keeps leaving my hens for our neighbors down the road and getting him back all the time is getting old. Had him since march and he's always stayed around till last week. He will be 1 in October. I've tried to keep him in the coop/run for a couple days but he just keeps running back down the road. Help???? My hens are always free range except when I lock up the coop in the evening. I don't want to keep my rooster up while my hens are in the yard.

Find a treat he LOVES....hand it to him when he's in the coop in the evening,make a faint calling sound as you give it to him..like...here rooo... Or chick chick chick....do that for a week...then when he's out call him an feed him his treat.
You can train a chicken sorta like a dog. It comes to the call for the treat.
I trained mine to come to my call,so if they go in neighbor's yard..I just call them back with a treat.
Good Luck!

The coming when called isn't going to work if he's going down the road.
I haven't had an issue in years but before I had it all fenced I had a couple and many of theirs coming up here.
Containment was the only answer. From experience if you don't do something soon there's a good chance he will end up taking some hens with him then sooner or later they won't come back. Either staying there or getting taken by something.

Do neighbors have a flock? If so, you're gonna have to pen him. Letting him mingle with an other flock is both making him into a neighborhood nuisance, and also opening the door way to disease transmission between flocks. If I were your neighbor, I'd first speak to you, then if that didn't keep him home, I'd be plugging in my crock pot, or getting ready to fertilize a rose bush.

Back
Top Bottom